fbpx

Reply: About reading PMBOK guide

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : About reading PMBOK guide

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 1 month ago #19846

Tracy Shagnea, PMP

Smita,

I have never read the PMBoK. I used it as a reference to resolve questions I had, but my primary study source was "the Rita book."

In combination with Cornelius' materials found here (including the Exam Simulator) I managed to pass on my first attempt. I would say that reading the entire PMBoK is not mandatory for passing the PMP Exam.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but the key information is better presented elsewhere, in my opinion. You need to study in a way that works for your style and available time. If you're using the Exam Simulator, you'll have a good idea of whether or not you're on the right track....

Best of luck!
Tracy
4 years 1 month ago #19797

googlesmart

Smita,
The book is not that long compared to the length of content. It is just that the content is very dry. I suggest you read some other book such as Rita Mulcahy's book read to know the content. Many people find it very easy to read. In between, you can refer PMBOK as a guide. Never rely solely on any one of these books. But you will gain understanding from Rita's book and point to point content from PMBOK. You can read this book in less than half time.
I am not associated with Rita's book promotion in any way. I just passed PMP last week using this book and had good benefit.
4 years 1 month ago #19795

Anantha Narayanan Santhanagopalan

Anantha Narayanan Santhanagopalan's Avatar

Hello Smita,

I understand. It may be overwhelming initially, but you need to go through PMBOK for sure. It may look huge. But once you start reading you will complete it quickly.

I am also preparing for my exam. I will tell how I did/doing it.

Part 1 of PMBOK is most important. Part 2 will just be repetition(in process).

Iteration 1 - I scrolled through pages to get a hold of what I can expect in each knowledge area - Spend an hour
Iteration 2 - Studying topics that I felt that was most interesting. I like mathematics. So I completed all formula related topics.. Ex : EVA, WBS, ES, EF, LS.. LF..., Decision tree analysis, no. of communication channels. standard deviation, three point estimation and PERT estimation. - Maybe 4-5 hours depending on your interest level.
Iteration 3 - Read PMBOK Part 1 completely. No compromise here. Since you would have already covered key areas, it will be easy for you to complete.
Iteration 4 - Take a mock test in simplilearn (free test). The test is easy, but I failed.
Iteration 5 - Start reading as processes (Part 2). Target Initiation and closing. Topics are very less. Less questions but you need to crack almost all to be in target. So make sure you master this.
Iteration 6 - Remaining 3 processes are little forgiving. Meaning you can afford to make some mistakes. Read them again quickly..

Now start appearing for Simulator exams - full 4 hour test. Will test your brain, time management skills, etc. After the test you will get good statistics on where you are lagging behind. Study that. Listen to prepcast videos on that topic. Master the topic and write the next one.

I feel this is working for me. Because we can keep improving. By improving we also gain confidence that we will do better next time.
4 years 1 month ago #19789

Smita Patil

Hi,
I have been preparing for the PMP exam. I wanted to know is it required to read each and every page and topics in the PMBOK guide?
The book seems to be huge. I need some guidance here please.
Appreciate your inputs.

Thank you,
Smita

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login