fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: PMP: Online Proctored Exam

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 11 months ago #20775

• Kent Reynolds
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I am scheduled to take the exam online soon but now after reading some of the comments in this thread I am rethinking it. My main concern is no scratch paper. How can we possibly take such an exam without it?

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 11 months ago #20782

• Divya Chauhan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Thiago,

Congratulations on passing the PMP exam.

I'm planning to give the exam next month however really worried since you mentioned we can't use any scratch paper. How did you manage to do calculations with the use of whiteboard? My idea was to write all difficult formulas on the paper before I start giving the exam. Any idea if we can use a stylus pen since my laptop has a touch screen. With the help of stylus pen I can write the formulas on a whiteboard.

You mentioned about taking 8 PrepCast Simulations. I can view 4 Free Smilutaion test, did you buy any subscription for other 8 tests?

Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thiago França, PMP®
Last edit: by Divya Chauhan.

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 11 months ago #20787

• Simon Knudsen
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi everyone,

I just passed the Online Proctored PMP exam, although I haven't received the performance report via email yet so I can't tell you how it actually went.

I did not spend time on reviewing flagged questions as I was sure I wouldn't change any of them anyway. I ended up having 20 min. left when I completed the exam.

The whole process of taking the exam online was very professional. If you do the system test before your exam, keep in mind that you will have to do it again on the exam day (taking photos of the room and your ID with your phone).

Thank God for the built-in 10 min. break. I'm surprised how any can sit there 4 hours straight without a bathroom break. I spent 4 min. and went back to keep momentum.

Underway I used the chat-function. A proctor is called so you can just talk instead of typing your request. I asked if I could use earplugs because there was disturbing noises coming from the apartment upstairs, but my request was rejected. Earplugs should have been approved beforehand.

In terms of practice before the exam, I took 4 exams (around 70% in each, done on Saturdays) and did 20 questions every day (around 70%, only unanswered). This way I only had around 200 questions unanswered questions left in the pool. This was good enough for me to feel confident.

That's all I got.

Quite interesting to look back at the time when I created this thread where the online option seemed impossible. Things can quickly change.

Thanks to PM PrepCast for providing the perfect training material and simulator - without this I would not have made it :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ALEXANDRU DIMOFTE, Katja Krol
Last edit: by Simon Knudsen.

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 11 months ago #20788

• Jessica Redmond
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Rafaela-
Congrats on passing.
Question about the whiteboard feature. I'm going to be taking the test on my lap top. How does whiteboard work? Do i need other attachments like a stylus? How do you actually write with it? I've been doing pencil and paper this whole time and have just had to reschedule to the online version today!
Thanks,
Jessica
Last edit: by Jessica Redmond.

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #20793

• Akila Raj
  • Akila Raj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Thiago, Congratulations on earning your PMP. Thank you for sharing your experience. Can you schedule the online PMP exam ahead of time? Please share some details around that.

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #20794

• Akila Raj
  • Akila Raj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi,

Were you able to schedule the online PMP exam ahead of time? Please explain the process and share your experience on that. Thanks in advance.

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #20798

• Shilpi
  • Shilpi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Congratulations Simon on passing the exam.
How difficult was the exam as compared to the simulator mock exams?
Did you attempt the 200 sample questions given by PMI before the exam? If yes, how similar were they in comparison to the exam?

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #20799

• Jessica Redmond
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Congratulations Thiago,
Did you need a stylus to use the whiteboard feature? If so, what surface did you use it on? A touchscreen?
Any info about this would be appreciated. I don't think what's on Pearson's website is clear enough.
Thanks,
Jessica

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #20810

• Md Shahnewaz Sabit Faisal
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Thiago, Congratulations on your passing the exam and also thanks for sharing your experience. Since it’s a new system we all have a lot of questions and you have been very patient in responding everyone’s questions. Thanks for that too.
My question is how easy that electronic white board is to use to do math or draw something ? I have a Wacom tablet for drawing and I was thinking to use it for drawing or doing math. It’s more user friendly than a mouse to do this kind of job. What’s your thought? Do you think mouse is just fine?

Thanks in advance for your input.

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #20829

• Rohit
  • Rohit's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for responding to my Query..
Please let me know how many days pmi usually takes to approve application. Its been 5 days and so far I've not heard anything from Pmi.. Is it because my application is picked up for audit?

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #20830

• Shiva Vishnubatla
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hello All,
I took the online proctored PMI certification and Passed with above target or target in all areas. Thanks to Mr. Cornelius and his Prepcast simulator for preparing me for this.
Here are my lessons learned based on last few questions other users posted so that its hopefully helpful for them -

Reg. scheduling:
I had my site proctored test cancelled a couple of times, so i took advantage of the online-proctored testing opportunity provided by PMI.
All i had to do was just go in there, cancel my exam which scheduled for sometime in May - and go back and try scheduling again - which allowed me the ONLINE proctoring option.
I had several dates and times available to pick and i picked a convenient time about a week ahead so that i can plan my preparation.
If you think you are ready, I suggest not even waiting that long if you dont want to lose the momentum and take the test when you are at your peak.

Exam format:
- Very similar to simulator, the questions were only easier.
- most questions were 1-2 long lines. no more than 2 sentences.
- there were probably around 5 formula type questions as i didnt have to use the whiteboard or calculator that much
- you can highlight any areas of quetsions/answers. you can also strike through answers - but i suggest not to waste time on striking thru.
- 2 parts - 90 questions + 10 min break + 110 questions
- clear count down timer to 240 mins
- AFter first 90 - you will get chance to review but i WILL eat into your time. so i didnt reveiw as i spent some extra time on making my final answer already
- if you read anything out inadvertantly, someone will Chat with you and ask you to keep it down. Its okay :)
- Some Sounds are okay because we cant control them. they understand.
- But pray that internet holds on thru the exam. and the laptop doesnt run updates or patches or something during that time. I would suggest keeping your laptop at latest patch level and
stop every other unnecessary process even before starting the test.
EDIT - I didn’t mention earlier- but the onVue test offers an optional 10 minute practice before even the test begins to get familiar with it - although I didn’t take it - it maybe a good idea to play around the interface so you are familiar with the interface.

Whiteboard (and calculator)
- the whiteboard is like a notepad, but you have to click on text on left before you can type in a space.
- there are options to draw and other things but i never had to use any of that. There was no need to use a stylus or my finger to draw anything. all i did was typing and that too for like 5-6 questions.
*Calculator is not at same place as whiteboard, but in a different part of menu at the top left -so please be aware
it is simple calculator but has % and square root - i only had to use % and +/-/*

Approach:
- I wanted to finish first 90 in 110 mins - but i took too long because i guess i wasted some time in striking thru quesitons i wanted to eliminate. and also difficulty level was probably higher.
- i wouldnt waste time on striking if you can identify answer.
- also dont mark without answering your best possible guess and beware that timer counts down during first half answers review period.
- try to answer every single quetion

10 min break -
After you click end review - you get to choose if you want a break.
i suggest taking it. Make the 10 mins
try to stretch yourself, stand and walk around. strategize how you want to approach next 110 questions. forget anything that happened in last 90.
second half -
In last 5 mins, review your situation and if you are at risk of leaving too many, check all answers for left over questions and try picking the best bet.
then in saved time, try going one by one backwards - this way you maybe able to validate a few but not leave out anything

Preparation:
Overall - I went through prepcast podcasts once (some areas twice)
PMBOK guide once for every process
Formula guide - all questions day before exam
Simulator - a lot. I used to take 2 hour /100 question timed tests (unanswered questions) and that was really helpful in my final exam. If i couldnt find 1 hour on a day, i at least did 20 question quiz
or something but keep your mind in this "simulator type questions" until you finish your test.
In the last week I used 3 days to review the entire course from Prepcast podcasts + PMBOK guide page snapshot notes that i made on my phone + at least 30 questions a day from simulator

I'd like to Thank Mr. Cornelius and his simulator for helping me accomplish this goal. It was a tough 6 months and im thankful i had this opportunity to take the test and pass it with everything going.
please all stay safe

shiva
The following user(s) said Thank You: ALEXANDRU DIMOFTE, Megan Harrison, Katja Krol, Alexandra Van Praag
Last edit: by Shiva Vishnubatla.

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #20831

• Shiva Vishnubatla
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Rohit - I believe your question is in the wrong forum. you should post this in applications forum.
You should get detailed communication if your application is accepted or audited. This should also be available in the PMI dashboard on their website.
All the best!
shiva

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #20832

• ARNALDO ANGELINI
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello Shiva, thank you very much for your info.

I wish to ask you about whiteboard: you may draw schedule networks and formulas on it ? You may practice with it before exam or is not allowed?

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #20833

• Shiva Vishnubatla
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Arnaldo, Whiteboard is only available once the 1st question starts. So if you prefer - may spend a few mins doing a brain dump - but it will still mean you have less time for exam.
However i think the white board stays theu the end so it may pay off.

I didn’t mention earlier- but the onVue test offers an optional 10 minute practice before even the test begins to get familiar with it - although I didn’t take it - it maybe a good idea to play around the interface so you are familiar with the interface.

Hope this helps.
Shiva

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #20847

• Riaz Hassan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm planning to write the online proctored exam in a few weeks. There's a lot of things I don't like about it, but one thing in particular over which I don' t have a lot of control.

I'm concerned about how noise will be interpreted by the proctor. My apartment is usually pretty quiet but the walls are also pretty thin - and if my neighbours are home you'll probably hear conversations. I'm worried about the proctor would interpret this.

Does anyone have experience writing the online exam in an environment that is not totally quiet?

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #20864

• Gabriella Dellino, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
Hi everyone!
Yesterday I passed my PMP exam using the online proctored mode! After two cancellations which pushed my exam date forward by 1.5 months, I feel so relieved now I finally did it!
I was very anxious at the beginning, especially because I was afraid some sudden noise (from my neighbors or from the street) could compromise the exam - but I was lucky I got a quiet day.
The check-in was as described; the procedure run smooth as I was prepared based on what others described and the recommendations on the Pearson VUE website: so I had a perfectly clean desk, with just my laptop on it. Nothing around.
Before starting the exam, I accepted to run the tutorial (it took around 5 mins, but you can skip it if you want), and I had the opportunity to practice the built-in calculator and whiteboard a bit. I didn't find them very user friendly: for some reason, to use the calculator I had to push the buttons on the screen, as typing them from my keyboard didn't seem to work; I quickly try to draw something on the whiteboard but it was not responding properly (it looked like there was some delay) so I decided to opt for the text boxes, in case I needed.
As others already shared, the scheduled break starts after 90 questions; before that, you can review your answers, choosing whether to review them all, or just the flagged ones - which is what I did. Once you're done, you can decide to end that part of the exam, and you are asked twice to confirm - as it is not possible to review them after that point.
I took almost the whole break (I was back after around 9 mins), and then the second part of the exam started, with the timer starting from where it stopped before the break.
Again you can review the questions at the end, and then confirm once you're done with it. Then I was expecting the survey to start, but instead: surprise! I got the message I passed the exam!!! The report is sent by e-mail and the message prompts you that it may take up to 2-3 days, so I was anxious the whole day before finding the e-mail in my mailbox this morning. After that, you can fill a survey (I did, but to my understanding it was not mandatory) and then... you're done!
This was my first attempt, so I cannot compare with the experience at a testing center, but - as I said - I was comfortable with this option, particularly because I have no idea when the testing centers will reopen and didn't want to stay in these limbo for who knows how many months. If you feel ready for the exam, I would recommend: go for it!
Here I focussed on the experience with the online proctored exam; I will share some lessons learned on the dedicated forum.
Gabriella Dellino, PhD, PMP
PMPrepCast Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Correne Refsahl-Jensen, Katja Krol

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #20876

• Eric Wanyutu Kahiga, PMP, PMI-ACP
  • Eric Wanyutu Kahiga, PMP, PMI-ACP's Avatar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Hi Gabriella.

Congratulations on passing your PMP exam! Many thanks for your insights and the courage of stepping up to the challenge of taking your exam online proctored example, We look forward to reading your lessons learnt. Go forth and be great. Your career awaits you.

Best.

Eric.
Eric Wanyutu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gabriella Dellino, PMP

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #20880

• Gabriella Dellino, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thank you so much, Eric, for your message!
Here you will find my lessons learned .
But I must confess it ended up to be a pretty long post! ;)

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #20886

• ARNALDO ANGELINI
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Gabriella thank you for yhis info.
I may use a mouse during the exam?
How did you make schedule network calculations if the whiteboard was not helpful?

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #20888

• Gabriella Dellino, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Arnaldo,
I cannot tell from my experience because I didn't try to use the mouse, but I think you can.
As for the whiteboard, during the last exam simulations I took before the exam, I tried to use notepad to answer those questions. I know it's not the best and of course it takes more time than drawing a schedule network diagram on paper, but, once you get used to it, it does the job.
The whiteboard allows you to insert text boxes (besides drawing), so you should be able to reproduce the notepad environment should you need it.

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #20895

• Query regarding PMP
  • Query regarding PMP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I did a system test on windows 7 laptop and didn't get any error. Should I go ahead and schedule exam?

[email protected] 3 years 10 months ago #20950

• Anonymous
  • Anonymous's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thiago
Thank you for sharing your recent PMP exam experience and congratulations on passing PMP. I am taking my online PMP exam in mid-June. I have few concerns on using virtual board. As you wrote it is similar to "Paint" application.

1. As suggested by most of the trainers(for the in-person exam), I was planning to do "memory dump" on a sheet of paper with all processes and formulae. With the virtual whiteboard, I have dropped the memory dump of all the processes. Now I am planning to write only formulae. Please share your thoughts on this. As we know, paper & pen cannot be replaced by virtual whiteboard.
2. For Critical path, we have to draw the boxes, arrows, write Early start, Early finish etc, With the virtual board, what was your experience? For calculations also, it would be easy to use paper than the virtual whiteboard.
3. I was told that due to limitations of virtual whiteboard, there would be fewer questions on calculations and drawing compared to the in-person exam. Is this true?

Thanks in advance Thiago

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #21045

• r2d2
  • r2d2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello folks,

I successfully passed the online proctored yesterday. As I was a little bit nervous about the online exam and I had many unanswered questions in advance, I would like to share my experience with others now.

== Before the exam ==
As the testing centers were closed due to the Corona pandemic, I decided to take the online test. Actually I would have preferred to take the test in a testing center. There were several reasons.

1. I didn't want to deal with any technical issue (prepare a room according to the Pearson VUE specification, stable internet connection, etc.)
2. Furthermore, I was not sure about how strictly they will monitor the test takers in terms of the noise level. Having a little baby, it is not so easy to organize a place at home which is reliably silent... There is also some noise coming from the street and maybe from the neighbors.
3. Another concern was the whiteboard feature - I think many test takers will agree that paper is more comfortable

Due to the lack of alternatives I decided to try it at home. On one hand, I was very happy to be able to schedule the exam just three days before. On the other hand I was really concerned about the above points.

== Workspace preparation and Check in ==
I covered some stuff in my room with blankets, cleared the desk and removed any item apart of my notebook and mouse, closed the door and placed a mattress behind it to reduce potential noise. During check-in I had to take photos with my mobile phone of my face, my passport and the workspace from four directions. Things went fine during the system test the day before but minutes before the exam, the upload of the passport photo didn't work. The proctor said he received just a black image and I tried it several times. She sent me another link via chat, which I manually typed into the browser of my mobile phone. There was another photo upload function which worked well - I was relieved!
I asked the proctor what would happen in case of a connection loss but the sound quality was really bad and I could barely understand the person. I gave up because I didn't want to cause any unnecessary nervousness and just hoped the connection will remain stable (it did).

== The exam ==
As already mentioned by others, there is a timer counting down from 240 minutes to zero. The first part comprises 90 questions, the second 110. A break of 10 min is possible between the two parts. The calculator was presented in the tutorial as a TI-108-style calculator. The whiteboard is similar to Microsoft Paint. You can find some information about it here:
home.pearsonvue.com/op/online-proctored-whiteboard-overview

One thing I didn't like was the fact, that the questions were displayed over the whole screen. That makes the questions harder to read and to focus on.

During the exam I used the whiteboard only one time to draw a network diagram and determine the critical path. There was no question with formulas so I never had to use the calculator.

Almost at the end of the exam the proctor reminded me to not cover my face with the hands (I propped my head somehow on my hands...). Filling out a survey after the exam completion, I was reminded again to not do that. I was a little bit surprised as I already finished the exam but in the end it was no issue, just wondered why.

== Conclusion ==
On the one hand I was very satisfied with my online exam and to have the opportunity to do the exam on short-notice. In times like these I would have waited months to do it in a testing center. I think the exam is well done and Pearson VUE does a good job. However, on the other hand I would nevertheless prefer to do an exam in a testing center in future. The reason is that I was very concerned about my workspace, the check-in procedure, internet stability, noise level in my room, etc. In the end everything went fine but before the exam I was a little bit worried and that's actually the time you don't need such concerns.

Regarding the whiteboard I have to say that it is of course not so quick and easy to draw a network diagram. But you can just practice that in advance by using Paint. I didn't perform a brain dump but I think that brain dumping some formulas could be even faster on the computer than writing it by hand. To do so, the whiteboard offers a text tool for writing.

PROs
- many exam slots 24/7 available, even on short notice!
- possibility to take the exam at home, especially in times of a pandemic
- simple check-in
- everything worked fine

CONs
- bad sound quality when talking with the proctor
- additional technical concerns before the exam
- the questions were displayed over the complete screen width
- you have to prepare your workspace

If you have any further questions, just let me know. I wish good luck to those who will attempt the exam in future.

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #21051

• Eric Wanyutu Kahiga, PMP, PMI-ACP
  • Eric Wanyutu Kahiga, PMP, PMI-ACP's Avatar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Congratulations r2d2!
Well done and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Kind regards.
Eric.
Eric Wanyutu

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #21052

• r2d2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello together,

just wanted to share one more thing I forgot in my report:
Maybe it's important to say that the whiteboard appears in a separate popup window on top, which is not fullscreen. The advantage is that you can see the question while you draw/write. You are also able to increase/reduce the window size and position. There is no switching necessary between two windows.

Cheers

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #21057

• Arpit Bedi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for sharing your experience.

I have my exam scheduled next week and today I tried to test my system and check in procedure. I was surprised that other than just system check, I was asked to provide pictures of me, my id, desk and work space. I am wondering now that after providing everything, do I need to go through the same procedure again during exam day or its done now?

I will appreciate if someone can throw some light on this.

Thanks

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #21070

• r2d2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
@Arpit Bedi

I also did the system test the day before but in any case you have to do it again directly before the exam. I don't know what exactly they check and if they really would inform you during system check when there is something wrong with your passport or workspace. Maybe someone could check that by running the system check and uploading photos with the PMP formula on a paper next to the notebook? :D

In any case: good luck for your exam

Cheers

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #21092

• Anjy
  • Anjy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
How did the whiteboard feature worked? Can you write something and have it accessible throughout the entire test? Does your whiteboard content get automatically deleted between schedule? Between the first section or not? Basically I want to make sure that iF I do a brain dump of information in the whiteboard will it remain there for the entire test unless I delete it or do they delete it without telling you?

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #21095

• Michelle Navarro
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I just tested my office workspace yesterday and completed the Pearson VUE system test. I also cleaned up my desk and took the required photos. Then I took my second PMP Prepcast Simulator exam and passed. So today I cancelled my in-person test (which had been moved to mid-July) and scheduled a proctored exam.

FYI: Not all dates and times were available, as I had thought. My hope was to take the exam this Saturday and enjoy a holiday weekend without this hanging over me. But the only option was to take the exam Saturday at 1:45am. I ended up picking the only time available next Saturday, at 7:45am. So the tip is not to wait until too close to the exam, or take it during the week when there are more time slots available.

Question for those who have taken it: how did you do your data dump on the whiteboard? I've been practicing a paper process diagram, which doesn't work on Paint. I can do it in the Microsoft Whiteboard if I use a table, but it doesn't appear the OnVUE whiteboard has a grid feature. Yesterday I tried to just write down formulas and a few processes to remember (like VALIDATE SCOPE, CONTROL SCOPE, CONTROL QUALITY) to keep me from getting confused during the test. I also wrote down the numbers I was typing into the calculator for the TCPI, SPI, and communication channel questions so I could double-check my math. Again, not sure if it helped - I'm struggling without my scratch pad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Boricua Juggernaut
Last edit: by Michelle Navarro.

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #21131

• Alex
  • Alex's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Thiago,
Congratulations!
Do you mind letting me know your study plan/approach?
I have only one chance left for PMP exam. I have been reading only from Rita Book (3 times in total so far) and used PM Prep Cast Simulator.
I have used the PMBOK guide only as reference when I was doing PM Prep Cast Simulator.
I am thinking to review the PMBOK Guide this time, but based on my familiarity with concepts from Rita and past exam experience, I was wondering should I just read part 2 or read the whole book (part 1 and part 2)?

Thanks

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #21160

• George Nagy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

ARNALDO ANGELINI wrote: Hello Shiva, thank you very much for your info.

I wish to ask you about whiteboard: you may draw schedule networks and formulas on it ? You may practice with it before exam or is not allowed?

www.mba.com/exams/gmat-online/prepare-fo...am/online-whiteboard

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #21180

• Luis Salazar
  • Luis Salazar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I wanted to ask, if they don't allow a calculator on the proctored exam, do they provide one on the application, along with the whiteboard?

Thanks

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #21183

• Yazmine Darcy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 9
Luis,

I understand that there is a calculator (which a student will not be able to see before the real exam started)

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #21208

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Haseef,

I took the exam in the Pearson Vue centre. I too faced the same issue where I just got a congratulatory message without any printout. How long did it take for you to get the email updates? How long it took to update your PMI profile?

Thanks
Hari

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #21283

• Vicki Cerven-Astell
  • Vicki Cerven-Astell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Does anyone know if you can type on a whiteboard for the proctored exam?

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #21289

• Subhayu Ghosh
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thiago França, PMP wrote: Allison, many thanks!

I used my laptop, so the keyboard & mic are connected. I believe there is no problem to use an external keyboard. But you can confirm it with the people in the chat, few minutes before the exam start. if they disagree, I believe they will ask you to remove it.

it is important that you leave your table clean. with just your laptop and an identification document. Remove also any paper in the wall that can cause a risk to be understood as cheating.

As for the room evaluation, during the pre-test, you are asked to take 4 photos of your room. Of course, these photos are evaluated to see if they are in compliance with PMI rules.

Don't forget to run the Pearson check program on your laptop before the exam (PMI recommendation). The procedure is identical to that performed before the test.

I wish you luck in your test. Stay calm and control the time. I left about 5 questions unanswered and passed above the target. Be strategic. It will work.

Hi Tiago

Thanks for the insights. Does the inbuilt white board allow you to use the keyboard to type text into the whiteboard or do we need to draw notes by using the pen? If typing is not allowed it would be useless.

Regards
Subha

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 10 months ago #21290

• Subhayu Ghosh
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Tiago

Thanks for the insights. Does the inbuilt white board allow you to use the keyboard to type text into the whiteboard or do we need to draw notes by using the pen? If typing is not allowed it would be useless.

Regards
Subha

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 9 months ago #21526

• Eduardo Robles-Rosario
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I recently took the PMP Online Proctored Exam on May 22; I passed with about an 80% but did not like how the questions were presented. I found the exam to be much harder than the PM PrepCast simulator. I also prepared using the PM MasterPrep simulator and the Andy Crowe book with an overall of about 300 hours of preparation. Many of the questions in the exam required people to infer the answer rather than a clear-cut answer. As an example, I had a question to the extend of "If you have communications issues with an employee which tool with you use?" The answers provided were: Project Management Plan, Resource Management Plan, Communications Management Plan or Stakeholder Management Plan. None of the answers listed were "tools" per say. I did answer the communications management plan but this is not a tool following the PMBOK. I felt that I really had to know the material for the exam. I have have issues with PMI with the exam in requiring people to know all the PMBOK technical language only to go sideways and ask non-technical questions. Good luck y'all!
The following user(s) said Thank You: James Clary

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 9 months ago #21624

• Astha Ganjoo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 9 months ago #21647

• Astha Ganjoo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Results are posted at pearson site within 1 to 2 hrs.
The pmi website takes a week to get updated.

[email protected] 3 years 9 months ago #21674

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
My exam has just been revoked, reason that my mouth was moving.This is a reflex action.I was alone in my room with a computer,started my exam at 3:am in the morning to avoid any disruptions.Iam so confused and devastated wondering why wouldn't my supervisor see this I was not moving my head but just reading questions and may be thinking of answers .It's horrible after all the time spent preparing and the money paid .some one just makes the descriptions with out verification

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 9 months ago #21675

• AGNES NAKITENDE
  • AGNES NAKITENDE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
It's very risky,don't do it I have just been s victim.

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 9 months ago #21691

• James Clary
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,

So I didn't have such a great experience this morning. Went through pre-test of computer and such yesterday.
Today I tee up everything. Waited 70 minutes and proctor never showed. Tried to relaunch, but test window had closed.
Went through PearsonVue's guidance and submitted a trouble ticket, to which their reply was that they'll try to get back to me in five business days.

It's the weekend so no one answer phone at PearsonVue or PMI. I just wanna get this exam over with.

Does anyone know if PMI makes exceptions, i.e., if I ring them Monday morning, they'll clear it up and I'll tee up the exam for Tuesday. (Don't really want to wait five biz days for PearsonVue.)

Thanks.

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 9 months ago #21694

• Kyle Kilbride
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Short answer is no. It took 7 business days total for PMI to approve me to write again after my exam was cut very short due to technical difficulties - waiting to write it in a few days. Get your ticket number from Pearson Vue and pass this info on to PMI. Hoping for a speedy resolution for you.

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 9 months ago #21696

• James Clary
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
You've got to be joking.

What could be so difficult about re-slotting us? And the number of weekday OnVue slots, it's not like there is a dearth of them.

Good luck to you next week.
Last edit: by James Clary.

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 9 months ago #21729

• Kasper David
  • Kasper David's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello everyone, I passed my online PMP exam last week! I wanted to briefly share my experience with you! I have about 4 years of PM experience. I spent about 1 month on the exam prep. Two hours in the evening and a whole weekend (Rita Prep Book and almost all free exam simulator).

At the evening before my exam, I've prepared and cleared my room and desktop. I put everything away, checked my connection and mouse batteries. Plug off all the unnecessary devices (monitor, headphone etc. off).
My appointment was scheduled for 9 a.m. At 8.30 a.m. I sat down on the PC. First you have to register with PMI, then you will be redirected to the Pearson website. There you download the onVUE software and do the system test. Then you have to enter your cell phone number, take a picture of the room and ID card, then wait ...

You are asked to put your cell phone away and the next screen says that you might be called on the cell phone right away - I found that somewhat confusing. You are not allowed to leave the laptop camera area while you are waiting, otherwise you will not be admitted. So how should I get my cell phone in case somebody was calling....

After a short while I was contacted via chat to check my internet connection because the supervisor couldn't see me on cam. Then I restarted my router and re-registered with my verification code. Then I waited another 45 minutes on the same process point (it said it would take 15 minutes to get accepted for the exam). After 45 minutes I had prepared myself that I would not take my exam today and was already on the weekend with my thoughts (it was now 9.45 am). Then I simply started the onVue software again (a third time) and exam started after ca. 1 minute !!! I hadn't been to the toilet since 8:30 a.m. and knew that I had to take the exam for 2 hours - I knew that it would not go well! When I saw the first questions, I was absolutely stuck ...

The other questions gave me some security, but I had to go to the toilet after 20 minutes, but of course I was not allowed to leave my seat. After 118 minutes I was through with the first 100 questions. Then I looked at my marked questions again and went in my 10 minute break. Of course I'm going to the toilet first. I've eaten a banana, some sweets and drink some water. Then I was more relaxed and went to the second round relatively quickly, for the remaining 100 questions in 120 minutes. I became more confident there, but with a lot of questions, I had two options that fit very well, occasionally I also had to guess! After I clicked the 200th question, my neck hurt and I had to go to the toilet again, I had 30 seconds left - I couldn't look any more questions and simply clicked "done"! After a few seconds came the good news that I had passed and that I would receive the results by email.

Some hints:
Make sure you're comfortable with a digital white board and the Windows Calculator (the one on the exam is a TI, but it looks very much the one on windows).
Hit the toilet before and don't drink too much before the exam!
Make sure you have a comfortable position!
Put some drinks and food next to you for the break!

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 9 months ago #21735

• Markus Müller
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I passed my PMP a view days ago! I schedulded my exam for 9 am. Started Login process at 8.30 am. Supervisor told me via chat that my connection is Bad and He can‘t see me! I did the onVUE login process again. Waited for 45 Minutes and was with my thoughts already in the Weekend, because I was sure I had to reschedule it and won‘t take it that day! Suddenly it started at 9.45 am (I had to wait in the Front of the Camera and couldn‘t hit the bathroom). When the exam started I was completeley stucked because in my head I was planning what to do today with my Family and not thinking about scatter Diagrams!

After 2h and 45 min. not going to the bathroom, it was getting really hard to concentrate anylonger! Second part was way better. Then, little notice „Congrats! You have passed!“ - done!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arti Kumari, James Clary
Last edit: by Markus Müller.

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 9 months ago #21791

• Eddy
  • Eddy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi,

Congrats on passing your PMP. I'll like to know if the online exams can be taken at anytime of the day the test taker deems fit? I'd like to book for mine and I prefer taking it at 2am as I find that time very quiet and relaxing enough for better concentration. Do you think that is even possible?

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 9 months ago #21792

• Ed
  • Ed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi,

Also you made mention of scoring above 70% in prepcast simulator. So far, I have been hovering between 78 to 83%. I'm planning on taking my last simulator exams on Friday and I hope to score higher. Do you think my current scores in the prepcast exam is good enough? Regards

PMP: Online Proctored Exam 3 years 9 months ago #21810

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Yes, you can take it any Time, even 2 AM!
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonKyle KilbrideJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login