fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Learning ITTOs (confusion regarding learning approach in context of exmination)

Learning ITTOs (confusion regarding learning approach in context of exmination) 4 years 4 months ago #19246

• Muhammad Awais
  • Muhammad Awais's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi
I have reached chapter 4 (integration management)
Here for every process there are specific inputs, outputs, techniques and tools.
Every input , technique has its own specific points. For example in Direct and Manage project work process one tool is expert judgement. This tool has
5 points i.e Technical knowledge, cost and budget management, legal and procurement, legislation and regulations and organizational governance. Similarly other process have also expert judgement tool
Which has its own points.
My question is that for exam preparation should i learn these for every process by heart ?
Yes it is important to understand these points but besides understanding remembering specific tools for specific process is another thing.
How should i proceed.
I hope i have made a valid question.
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Best regards
Awais

Learning ITTOs (confusion regarding learning approach in context of exmination) 4 years 4 months ago #19248

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 606
From an article that I wrote:

Here is my story: When I studied for my PMP exam I knew them by heart. I could tell you exactly which ITTO is used in which process. But I took my exam years ago. Since then the PMP exam has become more experience-based using situational questions over knowledge-based questions.

Therefore a change in approach is needed.

It is still important to have a general understanding about which ITTO is used in which process, but you do not need to be able to recite them by heart. It is much more important to understand the concept of "Why is this ITTO used in this process?" Your knowledge about WHY an ITTO is used in a process will definitely help you to arrive at the right answer.

Additionally, this new approach is much more helpful for you as a project manager in the long run. Frankly speaking, who cares whether an ITTO is part of a particular process or not after you have passed the PMP exam? If you need to know, you can just look it up! But knowing what they are, why you need them and how to apply them successfully on your projects greatly enhances your project management skills. It goes a long way in making you an exceptional project manager.

As you are studying the ITTOs for your PMP Exam, keep the following concepts in mind

First of all, Inputs and Outputs are always “things”, like a project management plan, a measurement, a result, an update to a plan, a document or a deliverable. You can touch Inputs and Outputs.

Second, it is very common that an Output from one process becomes an Input to another process. Focus your studies on understanding how these items flow through the many processes in the PMBOK® Guide in order to produce our project deliverables. Use the many charts that the Guide provides to see this graphically.

Third, Tools & Techniques very often have some form of “action” attached to them, like a meeting, a methodology, a technique, a form that you must fill in, or a matrix that you create.

And lastly, don’t forget to read the complete PMBOK® Guide glossary. Study and understand the definitions of the roughly 350 terms that you find here. Again, you are not doing this for memorization sake, but instead you want to learn “the language” of the PMP exam. Often we use project management terms loosely and interchangeably in our day to day work. But for the exam we have to know exactly what each term means.

Reading the glossary ensures that you know the correct definitions, and, as a bonus, the glossary indicates for each term if it is an input/output, tool or technique.

So move beyond a third-graders approach of fact memorization. Instead, study the big picture, the data flows and how the ITTOs are the glue between the processes.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login