fbpx

Reply: Change Mgmt Questions clarification: Confused !

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Change Mgmt Questions clarification: Confused !

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 4 months ago #19001

Navneet Singh

's Avatar

Hey guys,

Joe,s response to your query has been as below -
A change request is submitted:
1. Evaluate the impact
2. Identify options
3. Get the change request approved internally
4. Get customer buy-in (if required)

If you start reviewing steps 1 to 4 in conjunction with the question posed one by one, you find that “Evaluate the impact “ has been completed (Based on your analysis by moving tasks around you see that there would be no impact to any of the performance measurement baselines.)

Hence, you need to proceed to the next step.

We have to read the question and decipher / digest the information carefully, I too have hurriedly gone through the whole question and have made mistakes while selecting the right answer because I skipped some vital information.

Hope this clarifies your doubts.

Thanks and regards
Navneet
4 years 4 months ago #18930

Sneha Singh

's Avatar

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply.

Your answer makes sense. Here is the question:

You are managing a project that is responsible for setting up an alcohol distillery. Your team is in its eighth month of execution. One of the vendors informs you that the Agitators delivery is going to be delayed by a week.
You look up the project management plan and the schedule baselines and decide to set up all the reactors first. Based on your analysis by moving tasks around you see that there would be no impact to any of the performance measurement baselines.
What should you do next?

a. Go ahead and execute the rescheduled tasks as there is no impact to any of the baselines
b. Write up a change request and submit to change control for approval
c. Analyze the impact of the change to the triple constraints and then submit a change request
d. Do nothing as this would cause changes to the baselines

The correct ans is A.
The point that confuses me is that isn't analysis on the triple constraint a part of ICC process as well? Or the PM can let go of rasing a CR if he is convinced that there will be no impact?
4 years 4 months ago #18929

Anonymous

's Avatar

Hi Joe,
Please find below the question:

You are managing a project that is responsible for setting up an alcohol distillery. Your team is in its eighth month of execution. One of the vendors informs you that the Agitators delivery is going to be delayed by a week.
You look up the project management plan and the schedule baselines and decide to set up all the reactors first. Based on your analysis by moving tasks around you see that there would be no impact to any of the performance measurement baselines.
What should you do next?

a. Go ahead and execute the rescheduled tasks as there is no impact on any of the baselines
b. Write up a change request and submit to change control for approval
c. Analyze the impact of the change to the triple constraints and then submit a change request
d. Do nothing as this would cause changes to the baselines

The correct answer is A.
I just need one clarification- Isn't analyzing the impact on constraints a part of ICC as well? Or the PM can analyze first and go ahead and avoid raising the CR if he sees there is no impact?
4 years 4 months ago #18925

Joe Pang

Hello Sneha,

This is my general rule of thumb when dealing with change request questions:

Below are the steps I got from Rita Mulcahy's book (Rita v9, pg 161):

A change request is submitted:
1. Evaluate the impact
2. Identify options
3. Get the change request approved internally
4. Get customer buy-in (if required)

This is from the project manager's perspective, of course. If the question assumes that you are in another role (ex. you are the programmer from the project team), then submitting the CR would be more appropriate.

If you have the original question, we encourage that you post it along with the source, so that we can help you pinpoint the problem.
4 years 4 months ago #18910

Sneha Singh

Hi Everyone,

I am having confusion when answering the questions relating to change requests, change mgmt.

Type 1
1. If we realize that the project requires change, what is the first thing that needs to be done:
a. Evaluating the impact
b. Raising a CR....
Some simulators go for evaluating the impact on all constraints before raising the CR, while some show raise a CR as the change request will be evaluated as a part of it.

Type 2
1. If we have evaluated the change against one of the constraints say cost, what is the first thing that needs to be done:
a. Evaluating the impact against all constraints
b. Raising a CR....

What is the correct response when such questions are encountered?

Thanks.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login