fbpx

Reply: Order of actions in closing process

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Order of actions in closing process

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 8 months ago #18028

Donald Terry

Hi Ally,

The Validate Scope process is part of the Monitoring and Controlling Process Group rather than the Closing Process Group, so you can eliminate that item. The Exam Content Outline does provide some of the tasks involved with project closure. Additionally, activities related to project closure can be found on page 123 of the PMBOK® Guide. As far as the order of activities, it is difficult to establish a concrete sequential order. We need to keep in mind that some of these activities will likely occur concurrently rather than sequentially. Additionally, the needs of the project will influence the order of activities as well. As far as "letting go of resources", the project manager would likely release resources throughout the closing process when they are no longer needed. However, at least some subset of the project team must remain assigned to the project until all of the activities related to project closure have been completed. After all, if the entire project team has been released before the project has been closed, there is no one available to perform any remaining closing activities. Therefore, I would argue that releasing any remaining project team members would probably be the last thing to do.
4 years 8 months ago #18024

Pamela Matalone

Hi Ally,

Valdating Scope and releasing resources are in the Monitoring and Controlling process group, not the Closing process group.

See the processes Validate Scope and Control Resources.
4 years 8 months ago #18023

Ally Fulton

Hey all, I've been struggling to find a source that outlines the order of actions in the closing process and found conflicting advice online. The official PMP exam guide has some items with an order to it, but it doesn't list things like "letting resources go" or "validate scope" or anything specific like that. The one the PMP lists out has the following items:

1. obtain final acceptance
2. transfer ownership
3. obtain financial, legal, administrative closure
4. prep/share final report
5. collate lessons learned
6. archive project documents
7. obtain feedback

where are those two specific actions that i listed above (letting go of resources + validate scope) in this closing process? I'm trying to determine the order of things.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login