Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Passed PMP on 1st Attempt Today

Passed PMP on 1st Attempt Today 1 month 1 week ago #17969

• Pamela Matalone
  • Pamela Matalone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I purchased PM Prepcast in October 2018 and started to somewhat study but then the holidays came and I stopped studying.

In March 2019 I told myself to get serious on my studies if I wanted to get my PMP certification. I created my PMP Study plan and diligently followed the study plan. I cannot emphasize the importance of creating a Study Plan and following it. Without one you just kind go all over with your studies and don't really know if you are making progress.

I studied the Rita Mulcahy book along with the PM Prepcast courses. I also used the PMBOK in my studies. I did not study other sources and created my own flashcards. I made sure I understood the Rita Mulcahy process chart as recommended in her book. I took multiple timed quizzes on the PM Prepcast and the quizzes at the end of the Rita Mulcahy book before starting the exam simulations. I took six of the exam simulations and passed all six on my 1st attempt averaging scores in the upper 70's. I took off from work the week prior to my PMP examination so I could focusing on my studies and nothing else. I took one exam simulation each day.

My scores on the official PMP examination are as follows:
Initiating - Above Target
Planning - Above Target
Executing - Target
Monitoring and Controlling - Target
Closing - Above Target

The Pearson VUE does not give you sheets of paper, you get one 8 x 14 laminated sheet to use with a non-permanent marker. I had seen comments in the forums regarding not being able to strike through a wrong answer to narrow your answers. This is not an option at Pearson VUE but did not impact me as I did not use that option on exam simulations.

One technique I used on the PM Prepcast exam simulators, I marked any question that I wasn't positive about and left them marked even after I reviewed all of them. Once I got my score I focused on the ones I missed that I hadn't marked (why had I thought I knew the answer but it was wrong) and then on all the other questions I had gotten wrong. This gave me a game plan on focus due to my lack of confidence in answering a question to mark it as questionable. If I got it right, then I was lucky but what made me hesitant.

The PMP exam is definitely a grueling test. I finished all 200 questions in 3 hours and then took a bathroom/water break. Left me with under an hour to review questions I had marked for review. As others have stated, do not under-estimate the endurance required to sit and pound your brain for 4 hours!

Keep up the hard work everyone. You can do it!

Thanks PM Prepcast being a key factor in my successful completion.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasScott GillardMary Kathrine PaduaSteven Mudrinich, PMPCynthia Lim Louis, PMPTracy Shagnea, PMPPatrick Floris PhD PMPJoe PangJohn Paul BugarinJason YorekLuke HoSimone ChristieAmy MartinezDaniel DewartEmily Rivera

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login