Welcome, Guest
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Difference between materials and goods

Difference between materials and goods 6 years 11 months ago #794

• Tushar Joshi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Sky is not the limit, it is a door to Galaxy!

In Time Management knowledge and Estimating Activity Resources process you mention materials and goods as separate categories. Can you please elaborate on the difference between materials and goods.

From what I already know material shall be taken as raw material which gets converted to finished product which we also call as goods. If I apply this definition to these two categories then goods become the output of materials and processing

with regards
Tushar Joshi
SR Project Manager

Infospectrum India Pvt. Ltd. | 20, IT Park MIDC, Parsodi, Nagpur-440022, India.
Phone: +91 712 663 8178, 79 Extn: 315 | Cell: +91 982 222 0365
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Website: http://www.info-spectrum.

Re:Difference between materials and goods 6 years 11 months ago #805

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • PrepCast Instructor
  • Thank you received: 152

Let's first of all be clear and say that the difference between these two words is unimportant for the PMP Exam. I used them in the examples to explain what you might need in a project. And as you have already said: I see materials more like "raw materials" and goods more like "finished items". And on any given project it is possible that you may need both: In one task you need raw materials (i.e. concrete powder and water) to work with and on another task you may need a finished good (i.e. a ceiling lamp) that needs to be installed.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC
Moderators: Yolanda Mabutas, Ahmed Amin, Michael DeCicco, Rahul Kakkar, Fernando Jr Sinlao Lim, Jeremy Raelin, Mary Kathrine Padua, Yasir Mehmood, Chris Preziotti, Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL, Christian Winter, Kevin Nason, Michael Sumaquial, PMP, Mark Wuenscher, PMP