Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Phase gate

Phase gate 5 months 5 days ago #16364

• Julia Soligo
  • Julia Soligo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I found this question on Oliver F. Lehmann prep test (200 questions document):

123. You are using a phase gate approach for your project. What do you need to consider?123
o The order of phases must be strictly consecutive without overlapping in order to allow for gates.
o Gates are often called kill points, when they are used to eliminate weak team members.
o Phase gates are often used to verify entry criteria of a previous phase and exit criteria of the next one.
o Approaching phase gates early is a common signal that project planning has been poor.

Correct question is (A), I couldn't find that statement anywhere in the PMBOK, and I don't completely understand why that should be true. According to that, phase gate couldn't be used for agile approaches, where sequential-iteration based phases or continuous overlapping phases are used?

Thanks!
Julia

Phase gate 6 days 3 hours ago #17766

• hossam
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
it's funny. I was wondering myself and googling this and when I read your question it hit me !!.
if you want to have a phase gate approach then it has to be consecutive as a phase gate is a way to consider whether to proceed with the project or not (Kill point). in Agile, the project is divided into separate iterations where team select a specific number from user stories in the backlog, and at the end of the iteration or sprint, they review the phase with stakeholders. Agile does not mean parallelism.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasScott GillardMary Kathrine PaduaSteven Mudrinich, PMPCynthia Lim Louis, PMPTracy Shagnea, PMPPatrick Floris PhD PMPJoe PangJason YorekLuke HoSimone ChristieAmy MartinezDaniel DewartEmily Rivera

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login
17-Jul-2019: Free PMP Exam Coaching Webinar with Dan Ryan Register Now...