fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Project Kick-off meeting

Project Kick-off meeting 5 years 3 months ago #15880

• Lillian Li
  • Lillian Li's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I come across this question, and not sure if the answer is correct or not.

You are leading a large and complex project. Due to the size and complexity of the project, you have decided that a project management team will perform most of the planning, and the remainder of the project team will be brought on when the initial planning is complete.

In this scenario, when is the best time to conduct the project kick-off meeting?

The answer is During project execution.

I checked the PMP Exam Prep 9th edition. The kick-off meeting is under planning process. So, why the answer is During project execution.

Project Kick-off meeting 5 years 3 months ago #15898

• Joe Pang
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 98
Hi Lillian,

First we have to understand why we need to hold a kick off meeting:
It helps team members get to know each other.
It demonstrates the project manager’s authority and leadership skills.
It helps team members understand the project objectives.
It helps stakeholders understand milestones, risks, assumptions, and constraints.
It helps the project manager gain support from all stakeholders.
It provides all attendees with an opportunity to ask questions and get clarity.
It brings all stakeholders to the same platform.
(Source: Pmstudycircle)

For small project, since it is likely that the project team has already be fully assembled in the planning stage, therefore you can start the kick off meeting earlier. For large project, it is likely that you get your full team at the executing stage.
Toronto-based project manager, I specialize in capital construction projects and digital transformation projects for the power & utility sector.

I welcome all types of collaboration opportunities, feel free to connect with me on Linkedin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Krishna Mohan M
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login