fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Difference between Manage Quality and Control Quality.

Difference between Manage Quality and Control Quality. 5 years 3 months ago #15837

• Vaishali Gor
  • Vaishali Gor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Team,
My query is with reference to quality management process. I get bit confused with the differentiation

As per guide, Manage quality process applies plan laid out in quality management plan and carries out quality management activities and control qualities process measures whether process implemented is effective or not
then
1) why as per below question, it should be "control quality " process. This question is listed in PMP exam simulator
During a review of quality control measurements from the first phase tests of an automated line, you notice that none of the tests is challenging the upper range of volume capabilities of the equipment. You are aware that customers expect it to function well when handling both small and large volumes.
2) Why do quality control measurements get created in control quality process when manage quality process comes before control quality?
3) Why do the data gathering tools listed in PMBOK6 especially statistical sampling are part of control quality and not manage quality?
I don't agree with the tools listed for control quality process
(Checklists,Check Sheets,Statistical sampling,Questionnaires and Surveys)
4) Why "Test and Evaluation Documents" is out put of manage quality process and input to control quality process .Ideally, it should have been output of plan quality management process and input to manage quality process
5) I also feel that verified deliverables should be a part of manage quality process

Please assist to understand clear difference between these two processes.
Attachments:

Difference between Manage Quality and Control Quality. 5 years 3 months ago #15896

• Joe Pang
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 98
Hi Vaishali,

These two processes are very challenging for PMP aspirants. In the real world, many people (myself included) perform these two activities almost simultaneously. Therefore it is normal for students like yourself to get confused.

First you have to distinguish the function of both processes:

Manage Quality - making certain that the project work, the processes followed, and the deliverables that are produce conform to the quality management plan
Control Quality - Ensuring a certain level of quality in a deliverable

Therefore, Manage Quality targets QA, while Control Quality targets the QC.

When you figure out the difference you should be able to answer your own questions with more ease.

Pg 326 in Rita's v9 does a great job on explaining the difference between the 3 processes in the Quality Management group.
Toronto-based project manager, I specialize in capital construction projects and digital transformation projects for the power & utility sector.

I welcome all types of collaboration opportunities, feel free to connect with me on Linkedin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maharajah Rajappa, Ashwin Padmanabhan, Federico Flores, Jeffrey Gopaul, Rashmi Mohanty, TAK

Difference between Manage Quality and Control Quality. 5 years 3 months ago #15990

• Vaishali Gor
  • Vaishali Gor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you Joe for your response. Your just one line cleared concept for me "Manage Quality targets QA, while Control Quality targets the QC"!!!!

Difference between Manage Quality and Control Quality. 3 years 8 months ago #22111

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Very useful! Thank you!

Difference between Manage Quality and Control Quality. 3 years 7 months ago #22584

• Anu
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thank you Joe, you managed to communicate with complete clarity vs. the rest.

Difference between Manage Quality and Control Quality. 3 years 7 months ago #22585

• Denver Martin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
This one confused me as well when I was studying for the PMP exam.

Just remember this single sentence: Manage Quality focuses on defect prevention, while quality control focuses on defect identification.

*Manage quality is synonymous with quality assurance.

Here's more...
Quality assurance guarantees that the plan was efficient to avoid any anticipated defects. Quality control helps you find defects in the deliverable and correct them.
Quality assurance is a proactive process which starts even before the work on the deliverable has started, while quality control is a reactive process and its activity starts as soon as you start working on the deliverable.
Quality assurance is a process-based approach; here you develop the process to create the product, while quality control is a product-based approach where you make sure the product is as per requirements.
Quality assurance involves processes managing quality, and quality control is used to verify the quality of the product.
A quality audit is an example of quality assurance while inspection and testing are examples of the quality control process.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kenneth Collins, Charlie, Rashmi Mohanty, Diego Lazaro

Difference between Manage Quality and Control Quality. 3 years 4 months ago #24400

• Sara
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
This is clear with the perfect level of detail. Thank you!

Difference between Manage Quality and Control Quality. 3 years 4 months ago #24577

• Gaspar Galdo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Is fishbone diagram or ishikawa diagram under manage quality or control quality?

Just confused of pmp exam practice test.

[email protected] 3 years 4 months ago #24724

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
that will be manage quality, per PMBoK...

Difference between Manage Quality and Control Quality. 3 years 3 weeks ago #26569

• MOHAMAD ABDOUNI
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Big thank to you, now it is clear to me and I can differentiate between them

[email protected] 1 year 3 months ago #30092

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Many thanks Joe for this easy clarification!
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login