fbpx

Reply: Difference between Scope & Requirement

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Difference between Scope & Requirement

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
7 months 2 days ago #30762

Anonymous

's Avatar

Hi,

I have 2 questions on the above definitions of the Scope Vs Requirement within Project Management.
1. If we have another activity/task that was not specified/mentioned in the contract and that it is still related to/serves the requirement, would it be considered as "out of Scope"? as it is another (let us say) technical/operational deliverable to fulfill the requirement (some thing new to the contractor to do. E.g. an innovation business case for the requirement, Performance Management Specs (KPIs) to assess his performance)

2. The term "Deliverable" for the requirement that is the final one (especially for services) eg. Sustainent Services for an Equipment/System where the contractor need to deliver business case, technical documents updates, different reports to fulfill the main requirement (the Sustainment Services), these document are not to be considered Requirement Deliverables as they are means to fulfill the services requirement, would you agree?

Thanks a lot in advance, and have great days ahead,

Samira B.
3 years 10 months ago #21111

SK2020

's Avatar

Requirement is a desired NEED for something to be achieved .
Scope is something which fulfills desired REQUIREMENT or NEED through various actions.
4 years 1 month ago #19937

Neeraj Vasudeva

An example of Requirement and scope would be ..

Requirement: I have a req. to go to airport, so i need a car and i need driver who can speak English... so effectively car is my requirement
Scope: It's related to product specification. While requirement states i need a car, scope define the attributes of car, like i want a car which has xyz features and a specific variant of car and it should be clean and have A/C in it.

-Neeraj
4 years 1 month ago #19926

Anonymous

's Avatar

I've always looked at it from the following perspective
Scope - What are you looking to accomplish what is the over all capability of the project and what end result do you wish to achieve?
Requirements - What tangible items or physical resources are needed to accomplish this task?
One is really more logical compared to the other which is more physical in nature.
5 years 5 months ago #15465

Kathy Castle

's Avatar

Scope is divided into two categories:

Product Scope ,is the features and functions that characterize a product, service, or result, and;

Project Scope , is all the work needed to deliver a product, service, or result as defined in product scope.

Requirements specifies the capabilities, features or attributes of the project’s deliverables. Stakeholder needs, wants and wishes are analyzed to derive the requirements. Requirements are prioritized to determine which requirements will be included and excluded from the project.
5 years 5 months ago #15371

Daniel Dewart

Vaishali,

- Requirements are a collection of items, or capabilities that the customer needs in the final deliverables.
- Project Scope defines the boundaries of the project. It describes the activities and tasks that need to be done in order to fulfill the requirements and outlines in detail what is and is not included in the project.

Hope this helps!

v/r

Dan

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login