fbpx

Reply: Procurement Closure (Control Procurement vs. Close Project/Phase)

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Procurement Closure (Control Procurement vs. Close Project/Phase)

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 3 months ago #25067

Anonymous

's Avatar

Hi! This is to inquire who is responsible for procurement close-out/purchase order close-out? Is it the Project Manager or Procurement Officer? Thank you.
4 years 7 months ago #18203

VIVEK GUPTA

Hi Joe,

I was also looking for a confirmation of relation between these 2 processes. This completely resolves my doubt. So my understanding with this is -- Close procurement is done by a buyer and close project or phase done at seller end and Procurement closing is one of the mandatory requirement for closing a project or phase.

Thanks for very good example and clarification.

Regards,
Vivek
5 years 5 months ago #15362

Kathy Castle

's Avatar

I think Close Procurement vs Close Project is one of the most misleading concept in PMP Exam.

According to the PMBOK Guide
“Close procurement is the process of completing each procurement.

"Close project or phase is the process of finalizing all activities across all of the project management process groups to formally complete the project or phase.”

The definition clearly tells you that the close project or close phase is performed when the project or phase is finally completed and deliverables are accepted. The close procurement process must happen before the close project or close phase process.

There is a good resource which explains the difference between close procurement and close project
5 years 6 months ago #15085

Joe Pang

Hi Abdullah,

I borrowed this explanation from the Rita book that may be helpful to you, it's in page 165 of the Exam Prep v9:

"The Close Project or Phase process involves getting the final, formal acceptance of the project or phase as a whole from the customer, whereas the Validate Scope process in scope management ( a M&C process) involves getting formal acceptance from the customer for interim deliverables. The project needs both processes."

Hope this helps.
5 years 6 months ago #15081

Ty Weston, PMP

In the close project process, the accepted deliverable is only an input. The actual acceptance is done under validate scope, see PMBOK 6, 5.5.3.1 page 166.
The close procurements then are done after, if you want to look at this in a numbered sequence.
Then all your procurement docs, along with your accepted deliverable are used as the input in closing, which results in a final product.
5 years 6 months ago #15080

Abdullah Khan

Thank you, Joe, for your explanation. I really appreciate it.
But, I still find it difficult to understand how is it that we enter in closing process group first for accepting the deliverable and once it is accepted, we go back to monitoring and controlling process group to close procurement :(
It would be a great help if could share a flow of procurements (flow chart) which explains how, where and when.

Regards.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login