fbpx

Reply: Estimate Cost process doesn't have input of resource estimate ouputs

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Estimate Cost process doesn't have input of resource estimate ouputs

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 7 months ago #18366

Alexandra Ospanova

Hi Joe,

sorry for digging up this old post, but there is one thing that has been unclear to me related to this.

Would you know why Estimate Costs uses the Resource Requirements document but not the Resource Management Plan (which includes information about the salaries & rates)?

The Resource Management Plan is then used as an input to Determine Budget.

To me it would make sense that we come up with the estimates that also include the cost of personnel and other resources during Estimate Costs, not add them at the point of Determine Budget.

Pages 240-250 of the PMBoK for reference.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Alexandra
5 years 7 months ago #15037

Joe Pang

Hello Truong,

If I understand correctly, you are wondering why the Estimate Cost process does not include an estimate of resource planned for the project?

During the Estimate Activity Resource process (9.2), the type/quantity/characteristics of resources are identified and they are contained in the Resource Requirements as an output (pg 320-321 PMBOK 6)
Then in the Estimate Costs process (7.2), it will use Resource Requirement (under Project Documents) as one of the input to estimate the cost in each work package. (Pg 240 PMBOK 6)

Keep in mind that many processes during planning can be iterative, they may get revisited and updated multiple times as we find out more information about the project.

Hope this helps,
Joe
5 years 7 months ago #15029

Truong Pham

Dear all,

I don't understand and need your help on why the Estimate Cost process doesn't have input of resource estimate ouputs? while it has the scope baseline.

Thank you.
Truong

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login