fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Failed the PMP :-( What to do next..

Failed the PMP :-( What to do next.. 5 years 7 months ago #14976

• Kevin K.
  • Kevin K.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello All,
I took the PMP exam at the end of August and unfortunately did not pass, on what was my first attempt. My result was "far below target" according to the report issued to me after the test and I did score particularly low on the Initiating and Planning domains. I did feel that I was not prepared enough going into the exam as the grade for my practice MCQ tests was hovering around the 60% mark leading up to the exam. Despite this, I did decided to give the exam a shot and see if I would actually get through with a PASS but that was not the case.

In terms of my study plan, I covered the following:
- PMBoK - Read through and took notes on the entire PMBoK chapter-by-chapter.
- PMP Exam Prep (Rita Mulcahy) - Read through, took notes on and completed exercises and end-of-chapter MCQs.
- Udemy Online Course 'Earned Your PMP Cert.) - Watch the entire series, took notes and complete the quizzes at the end of each section.
- PM FASTrack Online Exam Simulator - I completed about 500 questions from here in total which including one full 200 question exam to get myself familiarized withtiming for the exam.
- WhizLabs PMP Exam Simulator - I did approximately 180 questions from here (~10-20 per knowledge area.)
- To add to this, I took the time to familiarize myself with all of the formula's, acronyms and areas that I was weak in, namely; network diagrams, calculating float, life cycle costing, contract types, sources of conflict, resource optimization to name a few areas.

I felt that I studied enough to get myself through the exam but that clearly was not the case. I am a bit unsure what I should do differently to help me pass the exam the next time I sit it, so with that said any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kevin

Failed the PMP :-( What to do next.. 5 years 7 months ago #14978

• Jenikka Ebias
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Kevin,

We are really sorry to hear that you did not pass your PMP exam. We know this must be frustrating for you especially since you say that you prepared well for it. Our best advice for you is to read the following article and listen to the podcast as well.

Cornelius wrote the article with input from Kevin Reilly and then we also decided to record it for the podcast:

1) Listen to the interview: www.project-management-podcast.com/index...pmp-exam-three-times

2) www.cornelius-fichtner.com/index.php/pmp...the-pmp-exam-3-times

In the article/interview we talk about failing the exam 3 times. The advice we give can be applied to your situation as well. You can analyze your situation based on our suggestions.

We also recommend that you listen to the interview with Dan about how a coach helps you after a failed exam: traffic.libsyn.com/pmpodcast/L00.51_Dan_Ryan_Coaching.mp3

Keep going at it! We promise that it can be done!

Failed the PMP :-( What to do next.. 5 years 7 months ago #14981

• Ty Weston, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
I would recommend further exam simulations, particularly PM Prepcast Simulator.

Failed the PMP :-( What to do next.. 5 years 7 months ago #14985

• Deepak G
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Kevin,
I have not appeared for exam but think that you can try below strategy if looks good.
1. Considering 60% in the mock exams read and understand PMBOK on Role of a PM , Initiation and Closing for next two weeks.Take prepcast exam every weekend and check the performance overall and mainly on Initiation and Closing process. Check the gaps and wrong answers. Target for at least 65% in these two weeks.
2. Repeat step 1 for Planning for next two weeks with revision on Initiation and Closing and check performance.Target for at least 70% in these two weeks.
3. Repeat step 1 for Execution for next two weeks with revision on Initiation,Planning and Closing and check performance.Target for at least 75% in these two weeks.
4. Repeat step 1 for Monitoring & Control for next two weeks with revision on Initiation,Planning,Execution and Closing and check performance.Target for at least 80% in these two weeks.
Understand the process and terms example Project Charter, when it gets created and what all information it will have. After 8 weeks you will complete all the mock up test and revision of PMBOK.

Failed the PMP :-( What to do next.. 5 years 7 months ago #15032

• Kevin K.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for all of the feedback, much appreciated!

Failed the PMP :-( What to do next.. 5 years 7 months ago #15061

• Deepak G
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Kevin,
Let me know if you want to prepare together. When you are planning again to take the exam.

Failed the PMP :-( What to do next.. 5 years 7 months ago #15167

• Kevin K.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
sounds good ^^ :-)

Failed the PMP :-( What to do next.. 5 years 7 months ago #15172

• Deepak G
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Let me know how your preparation is going on?
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login