fbpx

Reply: Passed PMP - First Attempt - Above Target

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed PMP - First Attempt - Above Target

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
6 years 3 weeks ago #13824

Anoop Kumar

Passed last saturday. Above Target.
Experience during exam:
I took some time to gather my concentration. First 15 questions - I was not very sure of the answers.
Till I reached 90s (question number) - was not very confident how the exam was going. Primarily because the answers were extremely ambiguous. I have taken several exams like others here (like IIT JEE, GMAT, PSM, CSM, SAFE) but in the PMP exam I found the most ambiguous and subjective questions and answers.
Most of the questions were like, Project is not doing well...what would you do - and at least there were 2 answers that looks feasible and correct. Which one to mark - just guessed best and moved on. Hence I was not sure till about 100 questions whether I will pass or fail.
PM Prep case or other tests which I took - I could zero in to one right answers to about 90% of the questions.
In actual PMP exam - I was not sure of more than 60%-70% of my answers - (and yet passed Above Target) - looks very discrepant to me.
I concluded that the quality of the answers has to improve a lot.
When an organization is taking an exam and call its respectful and rigorous - they should have clear cut answers. Definition of right and wrong answers should not be left to subjectivity.
PMPrep cast or any other good tests you take definitely helps - but do they prepare you for an actual PMP (or any agency can prepare you for such an exam) is very doubtful.
Finished the exam about 30 mins early.
Preparation:
I started my studies 3-4 months ago but it was mostly off and on. Last 2 weeks were very regular studies, mainly taking tests and then reading the explanatory answers.
I could not study PMBOK fully even once. Read most of the important chapters and sections. I bought a course on Udemy for $10 and listened to those videos fully as that was required for PDUs.
Did not study any other book like Rita etc.
Memory Dump:
:) Biggest farce probably on PMP exam world.
I had this logic in my mind, if I know the concept and if it is in my mind how does it help to waste time and write it down before exam. Unnecessary waste of time and energy before exam or otherwise. I found the idea quite funny and never prepared any dump. With practice once gets used to the formulas etc.
If you have decent (not even great) concepts no need of dump.
Practice Tests taken:
I took 5 PM PrepCast test (include the initial free one) scores were in the range of 77%-83%. Took 3 other tests of 100 questions - I think I scored in 70s in those.
Practiced some extra question for EVM and PERT. Developed my own method of Early – taking it zero instead of 1 – found very counterintuitive to add and subtract one. It works well. There was one very good question (quite difficult) on Float in exam, never seen anything like that before but luckily could solve.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login