fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Need tips: Deciphering the language of exam questions

Need tips: Deciphering the language of exam questions 6 years 3 months ago #12857

• Katie
  • Katie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello!

I am currently very frustrated with my self-assessments from the PM PrepCast. I feel that I am understanding the material well and keep studying harder before each assessment, but find that I don't interpret the exam questions as intended or am possibly overthinking them. I find that I'm spending more time trying to figure out how each question is trying to "trick" me rather than being able to apply the concepts.

For example, there was a question regarding a project that needed to be outsourced but none of the employees are experienced enough to draft an accurate scope of work, resulting in a number of inaccurate proposals received. You are to then specify which technique is needed to ensure that the contractors have a clear and common understanding of the work (this last bit is what I should have paid more attention to). Here is how I misinterpreted the question:

- Initially I thought, "It sounds like they first need and expert to evaluate their needs." Both Proposal Evaluation Techniques and Expert Judgment were part of the choices.
- I considered the Bidders Conference but thought that since they did not have anyone experienced or skilled enough to make an accurate scope, how effective could that be?
- The answer, of course, was the Bidders Conference.

Does anyone have tips for deciphering the intent behind questions like this, or techniques to easily eliminate choices based on the wording? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login