fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: change request scenario

change request scenario 6 years 5 months ago #12098

• Mooli
  • Mooli's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a question regarding to the below, how to know if we can proceed with change request formal first or we should analyze the impact first?

You are managing a critical project with frequent changes in requirements. You are in the testing phase of the project, and the customer has requested an additional new feature. You have assessed the impact of the change on the triple constraints with your team. What should be your NEXT step?

1. Raise a change request form and send it for approval to the change control board
2. Look for alternative options including schedule compression techniques like crashing and fast tracking
3. Analyze the impact of the change on project quality objectives and quality planning
4. Update the project management plans and other project documents including project baselines

My answered was: 1 BUT the correct answer is 3

You are managing a software project that is due for design document release next week. An influential stakeholder asks you to add a feature to the existing design. This stakeholder has earlier made unreasonable demands during the last days of release. What is the best you can do in this situation?

1. Report his behavior to the senior Manager and suggest that he no longer be associated with your project as a stakeholder
2. As this person is influential, you have no option but to listen to him and add the functionality
3. Determine the impact of this change on your schedule and their constraints before taking a decision
4. Ask him to raise a written change request and then follow integrated change control

my answer was: 3 BUT the correct answer is 4

what is the difference? these situation really drove me crazy! could anyone help me on this topic?

change request scenario 6 years 5 months ago #12104

• Aung Sint
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Dear Mooli,

Question 1: The reason is you have to take all the project constraints, not just the triple constraints. The choice 3 is more suitable for the steps to take regarding the change control.

Question 2: I would think to pick the choice 3 for this answer, only if the phrase "before taking a decision" is not mentioned in the answer choice. This phrase is telling me that you are skipping the change control process. Of course, whenever you have a client or customer asking for a change, you always assess the impact on the project constraints.

Where do you get these questions from? I would suggest you check out Rita's change control steps where she gives steps by steps on the change control.
Best regards,
Aung K. Sint, PMP
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login