fbpx

Reply: Work Performance Data, Information & Reports

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Work Performance Data, Information & Reports

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
6 years 4 months ago #12558

Anil Gidwani

Let us not forget that the PMBOK is constantly evolving. I have also found discrepancies between different areas of the PMBOK. It would be nice to know how to notify PMI of these discrepancies.

To make an attempt to answer your questions:

a) Yes, it is true that Control Communications includes the phrase "This information is then communicated to the appropriate stakeholders." Maybe this is a mistake and needs to be deleted as the PMBOK evolves. It is indeed Manage Communications that distributes information. Control Communications communicates to the project management team whether the communication mechanisms are working effectively or not.

So the term "appropriate stakeholders" may also refer only to the project management team here, not all stakeholders. This clarification may be required.

b) Your question "How can Work Performance Reports be an input to 10.2 Manage Communications, when you need to execute 10.2 to generate the performance reports using the tool and technique 10.2.2.5 Performance Reporting???" is very valid.

One possible explanation: The Work Performance Reports that are an input to Manage Communications are high-level (status reports, memos, justifications, information notes, recommendations, and updates, see PMBOK 4.4.3.2). The Performance Reports created by Manage Communications in the tool Performance Reporting are detailed reports (see PMBOK 10.2.2.5). I think it is odd that Manage Communications would create detailed reports for all Knowledge Areas, though. That would be the job of the M&CPW process in the Integration Knowledge Area, I would think.

Another evolving area of the PMBOK, perhaps?
6 years 8 months ago #11404

Aung Sint

Dear Julie,

I'll try my best to answer to your 3 questions:

1. Work Performance Data is transformed into Work Performance Information in ALL Control Process (i.e., Validate Scope, Control Scope, Control Schedule, Control Cost, Control Quality, Control Comm, Control Risk, Control Proc, Control Stakeholder).

2. Work Performance Information is transformed into Work Performance Report in Monitoring & Control Project Work. Work Performance Report is input to Manage Comm, where the information is distributed stakeholders.

3. Manage Comm process is where you actually disseminate to stakeholders. Control Comm is the process to ensure the stakeholders get the information they need.

This is my understanding regarding the Work Performance Data/Info/Reports. :) Let me know if you still got confused about this.
6 years 8 months ago #11386

Julie Watson

I have 3 questions:
1. In which process(es) is work performance data transformed into information that can be used to make decisions?
2. In which process(es) is work performance information transformed into communication items (reports or other formats suitable for communicating to stakeholders)?
3. In which process(es) are the communication items actually disseminated to stakeholders via various methods?

Before you answer these questions, read these sections from the PMBOK:

From 4.4 Monitor and Control Project Work

4.4.3.2 Work Performance Reports (as OUTPUT)
Work performance reports are the physical or electronic representation of work performance information compiled in project documents, intended to generate decisions, actions, or awareness. Project information may be communicated verbally from person to person. However, in order to record, store, and sometimes distribute work performance information, a physical or electronic representation in the form of project documents is required. Work performance reports are a subset of project documents, which are intended to create awareness and generate decisions or actions. Specific work performance metrics may be defined at the start of the project and included in the normal work performance reports provided to key stakeholders. Examples of work performance reports include status reports, memos, justifications, information notes, recommendations, and updates.

This section makes it sound like work performance reports are created and distributed in the 4.4 Monitor and Control Project Work process, especially since they're identified as an OUTPUT!

From 6.7 Control Schedule
6.7.3.1 Work Performance Information (as an OUTPUT)
The calculated SV and SPI time performance indicators for WBS components, in particular, the work packages and control accounts, are documented and communicated to stakeholders.

From 7.4 Control Costs
7.4.3.1 Work Performance Information (as an OUTPUT)
The calculated CV, SV, CPI, SPI, TCPI and VAC values for WBS components, in particular the work packages and control accounts, are documented and communicated to stakeholders.

What does "documented and communicated to stakeholders" mean? These sections make it sound like documents (reports?) are created in and disseminated in these processes

From 10.2 Manage Communications

10.2.1.2 Work Performance Reports (INPUT to 10.2 Manage Communications, Figure 10-6 illustrates this input comes from 4.4 Monitor and Control Project Work)
Described in Section 4.4.3.2. Work performance reports are a collection of project performance and status information that may be used to facilitate discussion and to create communications. To optimize this process, it is important that reports be comprehensive, accurate, and available in a timely manner.

10.2.2.5 Performance Reporting (TOOL/TECHNIQUE 10.2 Manage Communications)
Performance reporting is the act of collecting and distributing performance information, including status reports, progress measurements, and forecasts. Performance reporting involves the periodic collection and analysis of baseline versus actual data to understand and communicate the project progress and performance as well as to forecast the project results[/u].
Performance reporting needs to provide information at an appropriate level for each audience. The format may range from a simple status report to more elaborate reports and may be prepared regularly or on an exception basis. A simple status report might show performance information, such as percent complete or status dashboards for each area (i.e., scope, schedule, cost, and quality). More elaborate reports may include:
Analysis of past performance,
Analysis of project forecasts (including time and cost),
Current status of risks and issues,
Work completed during the period,
Work to be completed in the next period,
Summary of changes approved in the period, and
Other relevant information, which is reviewed and discussed.

I thought the collection and distribution happened in 10.3 Control Communications???

How can Work Performance Reports be an input to 10.2 Manage Communications, when you need to execute 10.2 to generate the performance reports using the tool and technique 10.2.2.5 Performance Reporting???

10.2.3.1 Project Communications (OUTPUT of 10.2 Manage Communications)
The Manage Communications process involves the activities that are required for information to be created, distributed, received, acknowledged, and understood. Project communications may include but are not limited to: performance reports, deliverables status, schedule progress, and cost incurred . Project communications can vary significantly and are influenced by factors such as, but not limited to, the urgency and impact of the message, its method of delivery, and level of confidentiality.

'The Manage Communications process involves the activities that are required for information to be created, distributed, received, acknowledged, and understood.' sounds like the distribution happens in this process.

10.3 Control Communications

10.3.1.2 Project Communications (as INPUT to 10.3 Control Communications)
Described in Section 10.2.3.1. The Control Communications process involves the activities that are required for information and communications to be monitored, acted upon, and released to stakeholders. Project communications come from multiple sources and may vary significantly in their format, level of detail, degree of formality and confidentiality. Project communications may include but are not limited to:
  • Deliverables status,
    Schedule progress, and
    Costs incurred.

Why is an INPUT being discussed as a process in this section? 'The Control Communications process involves the activities that are required for information and communications to be monitored, acted upon, and released to stakeholders. ' Did someone accidentally copy/paste that first sentence at the beginning of section 10.2.3.1? But it does say that the communications are "acted upon and released to stakeholders". That sounds like this process is where the reports are actually communicated, distributed, etc...

10.3.3.1 Work Performance Information (INPUT)
"Described in Section 4.4.1.5. Work performance information organizes and summarizes the performance data gathered. This performance data typically provides status and progress information on the project at the level of detail required by the various stakeholders. This information is then communicated to the appropriate stakeholders."

10.3.1.4 Work Performance Data (INPUT)
Described in Section 4.3.3.2. Work performance data can include details about which communications have actually been distributed, feedback on communications, survey results on communication effectiveness, or other raw observations identified during communication activities.

NOW I AM UTTERLY LOST AND CONFUSED!!! Why in the world would either Work Performance Data or Work Performance Information be an INPUT to this process, when the work performance information is supposed to be "created, distributed, received, acknowledged" in 10.2 Manage Communications???

10.3.3.1 Work Performance Information
Described in Section 4.4.1.5. Work performance information organizes and summarizes the performance data gathered. This performance data typically provides status and progress information on the project at the level of detail required by the various stakeholders. This information is then communicated to the appropriate stakeholders.

now I'm beyond confused. Work performance information as an output at this point? I GIVE UP TRYING TO UNDERSTAND HOW ALL OF THIS WORK PERFORMANCE STUFF FITS TOGETHER! HELP!!!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login