Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: PMI rejected my experience detailed in 500 characters

PMI rejected my experience detailed in 500 characters 2 years 8 months ago #10105

• Azhar
  • Azhar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi everyone,

I submitted my application last week and have received an email from PMI stating that my application is pending and I have to re-submit my experience.
I have been working as a project manager for an e-commerce website project for last 4 years and have successfully launched the site. This is an extensive industry website offering over 200,000 parts.
After receiving PMI's response, I have re-written the experience blurb and now seeking expert opinion from fellow forum members to review the new text and let me know if this is written in desired acceptable way.

Here is what I originally submitted:

"Managed development of B2B/B2C e-commerce portal sitename.com. Initiation: worked with sponsor on project charter and approval; id'ed stakeholders. Planning: met with stakeholders on scope, requirements; defined project management plan. Executing: acquired dev resources, executed work plan, tested software changes, measured/reported progress to stakeholders. Controlling: managed change requests, collected new issues for issue register. Closing: reviewed with stakeholders and put lessons learned, other closure docs on shared drive."

Below is PMI's objection on my description above :

Project Descriptions - The description you provided is unclear regarding the tasks and role that you specifically performed. Please provide a description of your role with the following standards and tasks in mind.

PMI requires that qualified PMP candidates:

* Perform their duties under general supervision and are responsible for all aspects of the project for the life of the project
* Lead and direct cross-functional teams to deliver projects within the constraints of schedule, budget and resources
* Demonstrate sufficient knowledge and experience to appropriately apply a methodology to projects that have reasonably well-defined project requirements and deliverables.

We are unable to ascertain from the project descriptions you have provided if you served in the capacity on the projects per the aforementioned role definition. Project descriptions should be documented clearly enough to ascertain whether or not the projects documented truly are projects (please refer to PMBOK®Guide, 5th Edition, Section 3.2).

Further, project descriptions should consist of the following:

* A brief, one-sentence project objective
* Project deliverables summarized by process areas (Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitoring and Controlling, and Closing - abbreviations are acceptable IN, PL, EX, MC & CL)
* A brief, one-sentence project outcome

Project descriptions should be a high level summary of the tasks you led and directed on the project (e.g. Initiating: develop project charter etc.; Planning: Scope definition etc.; and so on). Project management experience is required in each of the process areas when all projects are totaled, but not on each project. Project descriptions must be provided for all projects submitted on application. Please revise the project descriptions.

Based on above response from PMI I have re-written the project description as below:

"I acted as project manager responsible for managing development and implementation of B2B/B2C e-commerce web portal. Outcome: Portal deliverable was accepted and successfully implemented. IN: developed approved project charter and stakeholder register. PL: developed scope statement, requirements, WBS, and project management plan. EX: developed project team, directed execution to plan, updated schedule and project plan. MC: managed change requests, updated change log and project management plan. Closing: obtained sponsor acceptance of deliverable, collected lessons learned, archived to SharePoint knowledge base"

I would highly appreciate if my fellow experts can review the newly crafted description and let me know if I can go ahead with this description.

Thank you in advance to all experts!

Ash

PMI rejected my experience detailed in 500 characters 2 years 8 months ago #10134

• Mark Wuenscher, PMP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Ash,
Looks ok to me.
Mark
Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Community Moderator

PMI rejected my experience detailed in 500 characters 2 years 8 months ago #10144

• Ash
  • Ash's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Mark, Thank you very much for you reply . As I was waiting for some expert comments I also developed a 2nd version of description in little less formal lingo. Please review and let me know if this one is better compared to the lat one:

"I acted as project manager for development & implementation of B2B/B2C e-commerce web portal. Portal was delivered within budget, time & scope & was successfully implemented. IN: I developed project charter & stakeholder register. PL: I developed scope, budget, requirements, WBS & project plan. EX: I built a team of 17 members, assigned tasks with timeline, updated schedule & project plan. MC: I managed change requests, updated change log & project plan. CL: I obtained sponsor acceptance, collected lessons learned with team, saved on server."

Thanks in advance!
Ash

PMI rejected my experience detailed in 500 characters 2 years 8 months ago #10180

• Mark Wuenscher, PMP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Ash,
Sorry for the delay in reply. How about this?

Role: Project Manager (this is captured in a separate field in the application. No need to include in description itself.)
Objective: Develop and implement B2B/B2C e-commerce web portal. IN: Developed project charter & stakeholder register. PL: Developed scope, budget, requirements, WBS & project plan. EX: Built 17 member team, assigned tasks with timeline, updated schedule & project plan. MC: Managed change requests, updated change log & project plan. CL: Obtained sponsor acceptance, collected and archived lessons learned with team. Result: Portal delivered within budget, time & scope & was successfully implemented.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Community Moderator

PMI rejected my experience detailed in 500 characters 1 year 10 months ago #13150

• Vijay
  • Vijay's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi ,

My PMI application got rejected, can you please review the below or this needs modification. I am pasting both rejected and planning to submit format.

Planning to put the below.

WCDMA Release for 15.3 & 16.3
==============================
These releases was about addition of some more features to the existing Nokia 3G base station software, to support features with further higher data rates in uplink & downlink direction.
IN: Identifying the key deliverables & meeting with stakeholder about feasibility of new features. PL: Developed scope, budget, requirements, WBS & project plan EX: Right team member is assigned to complete work packages on time, updated schedule & project plan. MC: Managed change requests, updated change log & project plan. CL: Obtained sponsor acceptance, collected and archived lessons learned with team. Result: The new software is deployed in customer network.

WCDMA iBTS Release Field Support for 13.3, 14.2, 15.3
======================================================
These releases are deployed at customer network, based on customer requirements the new enhancements will be considered for implementation.
IN: Identifying the key deliverable, meeting with stakeholder about feasibility of new enhancements & getting the approval from the sponsor.PL:Developed scope, budget, requirements, WBS & project plan.EX: Right team member is assigned to complete work packages on time, updated schedule & project plan. MC: Managed change requests, updated change log & project plan. CL: Obtained sponsor acceptance, collected and archived lessons learned with team. Result: The new software is deployed & monitored in customer network

Rejected text
=========================

WCDMA Release for 15.3 & 16.3
• The project was to add additional feature to the existing Nokia iBTS product to increase the Bandwidth
• As a Project Manager Involved in selecting the feature content & identifying the resource required for the project.
• Detailed planning, validating design & test estimates.
• Executing the works according to the work packages.
• Monitoring & controlling 15.3 & 16.3 releases to deliver on time.
• Updating the project data base for the lessons learned.
• Software is upgraded in customer network
WCDMA iBTS Release Field Support for 13.3,14.2, 15.3: ORGANIZATION DETAILS
• As Project Manager identifying the resources which are required for sustenance activities for these releases.
• Indentifying additional enhancements for this release & getting approval for the same from customer.
• Detailed planning, validating design & test estimates.
• Executing the works according to the work packages.
• Deciding on the change request proposal from the customer.
• Updating the lessons learned to the project database.
• Software is upgraded & monitored at customer network.

PMI rejected my experience detailed in 500 characters 3 weeks 21 hours ago #19093

• Yoga
  • Yoga's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have same issue sir, it can possible to help me.

Already submitted Project Description:
As a planning engineer for EPCC of Molten Sulphur handling facilities , participated in development of
project charter, prepared EPCC Baseline schedules, executed the project by ensuring that appropriate
resources and tools are assigned to the tasks accordingly as per project baseline and Monitoring / Control
of Project Budgets and reporting to Management. Ensured the project deliverables conform to quality
standards, archive and retain project records, historical information and documents in order to retain
organizational knowledge.
PMI Comments:
For all experience: descriptions are lacking an objective statement. We require an objective statement in order to discern whether the experience listed is truly a project, or if it is operational & administrative work. Using the principles of project management in operational tasks can be very effective, but does not provide the professional project management experience required for the PMP credential.

2. Should you choose to submit a new application, please note that for best results, project descriptions should be formatted as noted below:

- A brief, one-sentence project objective
- Project deliverables summarized by process areas (Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitoring and Controlling, and Closing - abbreviations are acceptable IN, PL, EX, MC & CL)
- A brief, one-sentence project outcome

Please Help me on this .. What should i will write for my project description.

PMI rejected my experience detailed in 500 characters 3 weeks 18 hours ago #19095

• Tracy Shagnea, PMP
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi Yoga,

Reading what you submitted, I'm not at all clear on what the project was attempting to do. I suspect the PMI reviewer felt the same. I know what sulphur is, but EPCC is an empty acronym to me and I can't tell what the objective of this project was.

Can you describe to us what this was about, as if we had just met at a dinner party? Remember, I'm not an engineer nor a chemist. All I know is that caffeine wakes me up in the morning. :-)

Tracy
Forum Moderator
PMP, CSM, M.S. Management

PMI rejected my experience detailed in 500 characters 3 weeks 17 hours ago #19096

• Harry Elston
  • Thank you received: 6
Good morning, Yoga.

I am a chemist with a strong chemical process background and, like Tracy, cannot tell what you're trying to describe. I concur with PMI's assessment that it cannot be discerned if your description is a project or operational in nature. It reads as a job description as opposed to a project description.

Here's how I would approached it:
What did project attempt to accomplish? (One sentence)
IN: Your role in initiating the project
PL: Your role in planning the project
EX: Your role in executing the project
and the like for the other groups. Each should be one sentence or two at the most.

Avoid technical acronyms whenever possible, spelling out acronyms will take away from the number of characters you're allowed. Do not be concerned if you don't have all 5 process groups in the description. As an independent consultant, I was often brought in to a project after it was more-or-less initiated by the client.

Harry
+++++
Harry J. Elston, Ph.D., CIH, PMP
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasScott GillardMary Kathrine PaduaCynthia Lim Louis, PMPTracy Shagnea, PMPPatrick Floris PhD PMPJoe PangJohn Paul BugarinAmy MartinezEmily RiveraLisa Sweeney PMPHarry ElstonMani Selvan

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login
Boost Your PMP Exam Prep in Only Eight Hours! Join the Live PMP Coaching Class on December 21/22 for just $179. Click to learn more... OR Click to watch a free session...