fbpx

Reply: Do I need to know other units (like distances) for Earned Value Management calculations on the PMP Exam?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Do I need to know other units (like distances) for Earned Value Management calculations on the PMP Exam?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
7 years 3 months ago #9463

Steven McClaugherty

Hi Lazard,

Thank you for your response. I won't put any other thought on this, and will get back to focusing on the key EVM formulas. Have a great day!
7 years 3 months ago #9462

Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL

Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL's Avatar

Dear Steven,
The response from Cornelius is correct and complete. Just to add that if there is an evm question, the monetary value of the Unit of measure will be provided (200usd/feet). So there is no need to worry about conversion or equivalence of different unit of measure.

Best regards
7 years 3 months ago #9460

Steven McClaugherty

Thank you Cornelius! this is very good to know.
7 years 3 months ago #9458

Cornelius Fichtner

Stephen,

The short answer is 'No'.

The long answer is that PMI has a worldwide "army" of volunteers who develop the PMP exam questions. So it is entirely possible that you may come across questions that use feet, kilometers, US dollars, Euros, celsius, farenheit, or any other possible units. But... the unit is never going to be at the center of the question. Instead, it will be the project management methodology and approaches that will be central. PMI will not require you to convert from unit X to unit Y. Instead, PMI will require you to understand what an experienced project manager would do in a given situation, no matter if the pipeline is 1000 miles or 1000 kilometers in length.
7 years 3 months ago #9456

Steven McClaugherty

Hi All,

Because the Project Management methodology/discipline is used across numerous industries, is there a requirement to know other units of distance/measure? Will there be for instance questions about construction of a building or laying out a pipeline and needing to be able to convert miles/yards/feet/inches, etc to to determine the answer on Earned Value Management questions? If so, is there a list of recommended units that I should know how to convert from/to?

Thank you!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login