fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Do I need to know other units (like distances) for Earned Value Management calculations on the PMP Exam?

Do I need to know other units (like distances) for Earned Value Management calculations on the PMP Exam? 7 years 3 months ago #9456

• Steven McClaugherty
  • Steven McClaugherty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi All,

Because the Project Management methodology/discipline is used across numerous industries, is there a requirement to know other units of distance/measure? Will there be for instance questions about construction of a building or laying out a pipeline and needing to be able to convert miles/yards/feet/inches, etc to to determine the answer on Earned Value Management questions? If so, is there a list of recommended units that I should know how to convert from/to?

Thank you!

Do I need to know other units (like distances) for Earned Value Management calculations on the PMP Exam? 7 years 3 months ago #9458

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 606
Stephen,

The short answer is 'No'.

The long answer is that PMI has a worldwide "army" of volunteers who develop the PMP exam questions. So it is entirely possible that you may come across questions that use feet, kilometers, US dollars, Euros, celsius, farenheit, or any other possible units. But... the unit is never going to be at the center of the question. Instead, it will be the project management methodology and approaches that will be central. PMI will not require you to convert from unit X to unit Y. Instead, PMI will require you to understand what an experienced project manager would do in a given situation, no matter if the pipeline is 1000 miles or 1000 kilometers in length.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steven McClaugherty

Do I need to know other units (like distances) for Earned Value Management calculations on the PMP Exam? 7 years 3 months ago #9460

• Steven McClaugherty
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
Thank you Cornelius! this is very good to know.

Do I need to know other units (like distances) for Earned Value Management calculations on the PMP Exam? 7 years 3 months ago #9462

• Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL
  • Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL's Avatar
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Dear Steven,
The response from Cornelius is correct and complete. Just to add that if there is an evm question, the monetary value of the Unit of measure will be provided (200usd/feet). So there is no need to worry about conversion or equivalence of different unit of measure.

Best regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steven McClaugherty

Do I need to know other units (like distances) for Earned Value Management calculations on the PMP Exam? 7 years 3 months ago #9463

• Steven McClaugherty
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
Hi Lazard,

Thank you for your response. I won't put any other thought on this, and will get back to focusing on the key EVM formulas. Have a great day!
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login