fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Present value and Future Value

Present value and Future Value 7 years 5 months ago #8578

• Stephen Simpson
  • Stephen Simpson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello.
I am preparing for the PMP certification exam and have noticed that various formula lists I have found show the formulas for Future Value and Present Value.
However, the PMPBOK Guide, 5th edition does not seem to have these formulas in the text. The same formula sheets also say the formulas for Net Present Value and the Internal Rate of Return are not required for the exam.

Since these formulas are not in the PMBOK Guide, as far as I can see, how do I know what is or is not really required.
It's not that the formulas are difficult, but rather I would like an understanding of how to know what formulas are actually required for the exam, just so I do not miss anything

Thanks
Stephen Simpson

Present value and Future Value 7 years 5 months ago #8585

• Regina Holzinger
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The exam is not restricted to what is or what is not in the PMBOK. There will be questions on topics that are not explicitly in the PMBOK.

Present value and Future Value 7 years 5 months ago #8587

• Kevin Nason
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Stephen

As another posted responded, there are topics that are on the Exam that are not covered in the PMBOK. I can assure you that are formulas on the exam. There were about 6 of them on my exam when I took it back in April. What other study guides are you using besides the PMBOK? I would strongly recommend the PM PrepCast simulator so you can experience the types of questions you could see on the actual PMP Exam. This simulator helped me greatly, along with the Rita Mulcahy PMP Prep Book, aka the "Rita" book. That book does a great breakdown of the key formulas that are likely to appear on the exam. There is also a PMP Formula Study guide available for purchase through this site as well.

I can assure you that you will see formulas on the exam.

Best of Luck to you on this journey.

Kevin
Last edit: by Kevin Nason.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login