fbpx

Reply: Basketball Match..... is a project?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Basketball Match..... is a project?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
7 years 6 months ago #8254

Cornelius Fichtner

Hazeem,

You are welcome. And please don't get me wrong. I think that the question can indeed lead to an interesting discussion and I'm perfectly OK if people want to chime in and discuss it. I simply wanted to make it clear that it has little value in regards to PMP prep.

That much said... I actually DON'T think that a basketball match is a project. I would argue that the match is operations.

A basketball team exists to put these matches on display. There are about 80 of them per season. The matches are the product that the team creates and the spectators then watch the game. One after the other.

Yes there is a lot of work involved, like coordination with other teams, setting up a game schedule, renting a plane to fly the team from game to game, booking hotels, and so on. But each game is pretty much the same with deviations and you can follow the checklist. The activities involved do not create a "UNIQUE product, service or result".

So I'm on the "it's operations" side.
7 years 6 months ago #8253

Hazem Ibrahim

Thanks Mr. Yasir and let us close this topic as it makes Mr. cornelius nervous and I really recognize this man and the Prepcast team, service and product.
7 years 6 months ago #8252

Yasir Mehmood

If you're truly curious though, yes both these scenarios can be considered projects per the definition.
7 years 6 months ago #8251

Hazem Ibrahim

Thanks Cornelius, Its just a matter passed on my mind during reviewing the definition of a projects vs operations and I found many questions on line which asked about unfamiliar activities whether its a project or not . on forum there is more space to exchange ideas and discuss topics which may lead us to another approach or more understanding. however I thank you for your advise and wish you all the best.
7 years 6 months ago #8250

Michael Sumaquial, PMP

Hi Hazem,

I agree with Cornelius...I believe it's most important to focus on the lectures of PM Prepcast, PM Simulator, and a PMP Prep book(in my case, I used Rita's book)... Here is a link to my lessons learned on how I passed the PMP on my first try. www.cornelius-fichtner.com/index.php/art...ichael-sumaquial-pmp ... Good luck on your exam! I believe you can do it! :-)

Best,
Michael
7 years 6 months ago #8249

Cornelius Fichtner

Hazeem,

Allow me to be "brutally honest": Wondering about this particular scenario does not help in preparing for or passing the PMP Exam. PMI is not out to "trick" you during the PMP exam. PMI wants to ensure that you are an experienced project manager with a solid understanding of all the necessary concepts, and that you can show this by applying yourself to (more or less) real life situations presented to you as exam questions. Wondering about what might or might not constitute a project may be an interesting discussion topic, but it will not help you pass the exam.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login