fbpx

Reply: Force Field Analysis - Quality, Risk and Change

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Force Field Analysis - Quality, Risk and Change

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
7 years 9 months ago #7747

Deborah Waitzman

This question initially arose when I got Simulator, ID 12606 question wrong.
Initially I wanted a better appreciation of the definition, but then uncovered numerous uses of this particular tool, how PMI uses it and, simultaneously, began to realize corresponding items in Quality Management that appeared to be directly related to Risk
1. Force Field Analysis, was invented by Kurt Lewin in 1951 and used as a method of implementing change management
2. That alone may not be so peculiar, ( www.odi.org/publications/5218-force-fiel...lysis-decision-maker ) - But it is uncanny that the same diagram referenced in the article, in the link referenced also appears on P.80 of the PMI Practice Standard for Risk Management
3. PMBOK 5th Edition, P. 236 - 8.1.2.3 Seven Basic Quality Tools - Flowchardts - this is also a tool that may be "associated with relative frequencies to estimate expected monetary value (Perform Quantitative Analysis - Risk) for the conformance and nonconformance......."
4. PMBOK 5th Edition P. 240 - 8.1.2.7 Additional Quality Planning Tools - While Brainstorming is introduced during Collect Requirements under Group Creativity Techniques, here PMBOK is paying it forward! and references section 11.2.2.2 - Identify Risks
5. PMBOK 8.1.3.2 Process Improvement Plan - Targets for improved Performance - Is this measured under the "Technical Performance Measurement" tool used during Monitoring and Controlling Risk? (TPM)
6. PMBOK 8.2.2.1 - Quality Management and Control Tools - second to last line "establishing an expected value for a limited number of dependent......" Expected Value - Expected Monetary Value? - Once again - a quantifiable tool used in Risk Management.
7. PMBOK P. 251, 8.3.1.4 - Work Performance Data - Everyone understands that all Monitoring and Controlling Knowledge areas, beginning with (5.5) Validate Scope have work performance data as an input (taken as an output from Direct and Manage Project Work). However, my question is, once again - is the tool utilized in Monitoring and Controlling Risk, "Technical Performance Measurement"
Perhaps reading PMBOK 5th edition a second time is worthwhile or simply causing me to read more into what might not be there. However, after failing the PMP exam twice, I truly want to understand these Project Management concepts and not just memorize a lot of items for the exam. What this says to me, is that the expansion of the Iron Triangle to include Risk, Resources, Quality ( I'll add change!) is reinforced by the interconnected / iterative nature of Project Management and the effort expended to keep all components of a project / program, etc in abeyance. Comments, Feedback, Advice?.....

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login