fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Request assistance applying for PMP certification

Request assistance applying for PMP certification 7 years 10 months ago #7585

• Stephen Simpson
  • Stephen Simpson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,
I submitted my application for the PMP certification and they sent it back with some concerns and asked me to revise it and submit it again. Their main point was that my descriptions seem to suggest that the project work I declared was actually operations management and not project management. They wanted me to the write up to demonstrate the work was actually part of a project. After reviewing my original application I realized that they were correct. I did not put enough effort into describing the projects and I did not really specify the deliverables or the outcomes properly either. I am sharing some of the revised project descriptions to see if anyone has any comments on how they may be improved.
The descriptions are only partly obfuscated.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
Title: AAAA System – Migration to new owner
Objectives: Migrate data management system to new owner.
Deliverables: Updated software modules, deployment in new environment.

A new owner acquired the AAAA data management system. I was appointed project manager to oversee the integration process. Task was to identify new stakeholders, determine detailed scope and establish new project management and communications plans. Developed WBS, schedule and managed procurements and change requests, monitored quality of work completed and controlled costs. Customer accepted all deliverables at closing.

Title AAAA System Phase II improvements (In Progress)

Objective: Add features of System ‘X’ to AAAA Data Management System
Deliverables: Updated modules with additional functionality

Customer wants to eliminate System ‘X’ and appointed me to manage the project to enhance the AAAA system. Tasks focused on identifying new stakeholders and determining detailed scope as well as identifying all risks. A WBS and initial schedule was devised to produce an initial prototype of requested deliverables. Managed scope, team and costs. Customer is evaluating prototype to determine if they wish to proceed.

Title: AAAAAAA development phase II - Additional functionality

Objectives: Final part of 2-phase project to re-develop tax software, phase out original
Deliverables: Install, documentation, gov't approval of tax forms.

I was appointed project manager by sr. staff. Duties included, but not limited to: WBS, scheduling, managing dev. team, controlling costs and change requests. I also managed the processes to review and ensure quality and acquisition of gov’t approvals. I planned the phase out of the product being replaced.
Deliverables accepted by mgmt. when all tasks completed.

Title: AAAAAA - Forms expansion and introduction of Enterprise version
Objective: Add selected new tax forms and develop Enterprise edition
Deliverables: Installation file, new product options, government approval on output

Sr. mgmt. appointed me project manager. Duties included determining detailed scope, WBS, scheduling, managing development team, controlling change requests, management of quality assurance and costs. I was also responsible for ensuring gov’t approvals were obtained. An agile development methodology was adopted.
Deliverables accepted by management when all tasks completed.

Title: AAAAAA - Addition of large number of new forms + Visual forms
Objectives: Add new suite of forms and create improved user interface for data entry
Deliverables: Install with all additional features, government approval of output

I was appointed project manager by sr. staff. Duties included determining detailed scope, scheduling, management of development team and change requests, monitoring quality and assuring gov’t approvals were obtained. Determined specifications for improved user interface. An agile development methodology was used.

Deliverables were accepted by management after all tasks accomplished.

Title: BBBBBBB-Additional forms expansion/rebranding and training videos
Objectives: Add new specified tax forms, rebrand product, create series of training videos
Deliverables: Training videos, rebranded product and install, Government approvals

I was appointed project manager by sr. staff. Duties included managing and developing the team, scope, WBS, scheduling and costs. Responsible to ensure quality of program output / videos. Required to secure government approvals on program output. Managed progress of rebranding effort (AAAAAAA to BBBBBB)
Deliverables were accepted by management when all tasks fulfilled.

Thanks
Stephen
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login