fbpx

Reply: 6 weeks to exam - I'm getting worried. Should I?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : 6 weeks to exam - I'm getting worried. Should I?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
7 years 8 months ago #7715

Pascal Sossou

I have roughly 20 years of experience as a program manager. I thought I understood the subject matter from PMI perspective. I prepared on and off for the exam for about 9 years. I finally got somewhat serious as of 2014, and read Rita twice, plus PMBOK. I practiced pm-simulator and was scoring about 70 - 75%. I thought I was ready. I took the exam last December and scored 73%, with moderately, moderately, below, below and below. I have been studying really hard since, and now my scores on PM simulator are mostly above 80%, even so, I do not feel I am ready.
The most important thing to remember after you feel you are ready for the exam is to completely relax during the exam so that you may overcome the psychometric questions being thrown at you.

Good luck
7 years 8 months ago #7714

Enan Lim

's Avatar

There are a few questions related to Earned Value and other formulas. I suggest that you get yourself familiar with them. It will greatly help if you know when to use them. Good luck on your exam!
7 years 8 months ago #7680

Rohit Chaurasia

Yerikzhan,

You're probably half way through the 9 Simulator exams, so my response is more to others who come across this thread with a similar question that you had about 3 weeks ago. I agree with everyone who stressed upon the importance of taking the exams and want to add my two-cents on why it is important to take exams as you are studying and not just push that to the end.

Like Mariana said - the questions on the exam are much harder than what you would expect. The real question is usually hidden within the long-winded description of the situation; so for example the question may start by telling you all about this glorious project that the PM has been working on and the events that have taken place, the CPI, SPI values and that the PM did this and did that and then it may ask you what the PM should do next. Using the information in the question you first have to deduce what process the PM was in and then what are the steps to be taken in that process, or what outputs are produced from that process and then choose the right answer.

Many questions in the simulator will train your brain to think that way... don't worry about the number of questions you get wrong - in fact, that can help you - because you probably already knew the topic, but you were not able to understand exactly what the question was asking for. So when you read the explanation of the right answer (while reviewing your answers), you would learn how to decipher information in the questions. Working on these questions and the explanation for the right answers helps you to start looking at the question and glean what you need to answer the question correctly. Once you attempt some tricky questions in the simulator, you would see the topics differently, you will start paying more attention to the information in the books/PMBOK, which earlier, you may not have considered very important. Of course, pace your exams such that you still have a couple-three left after you have completed your studies. Take these 3-4 days before your exam to be in the exam mode, get used to sitting there for 3-4 hours. Best if you take these simulation tests around the same time that your real PMP exam is scheduled for, so that your brain and body gets used to it and starts expecting it. :-)

Good luck!
!R
7 years 9 months ago #7582

Tracey South

Hello!

Another tip I would suggest is to practise creating a 'brain dump' sheet. This is a sheet that you create immediately after the exam has started to quickly jot down all the definitions and formulas that are floating in your mind so you can then concentrate on the questions displayed and not worrying about forgetting something. I found it very calming to do. If you practise it beforehand, it helps lock in the information. You can also get a sense of how long it will take to complete come Exam day.

I would spend some time working through the PrepCast Exams. They are a very good gauge to your readiness but also teach you how to sit and pace yourself for 4 hours.

Good luck!
Tracey
7 years 9 months ago #7578

Yerikzhan Torekhanov

Thanks everyone for your advice. I was going to do exam similator tests later (i.e. 2-3 weeks before the exam), but as Mark suggests, I'd probably start sonner.
7 years 9 months ago #7571

Mariana

Hi Erik,

I just passed on June 7th. It was harder than I thought, but if you study consistently, you will do fine. Lots of questions on stakeholder management, so make sure you know this topic inside and out. Make sure in you know in which situations a PM would update what document, i.e. risk register vs. stakeholder management plan.
ALL the questions on the exam are situation based, not just simple tests of knowing a concept. sometimes the answer is given, but not in the exact term you would expect, but some variation of it, so really take the time to read the questions carefully. The questions test you on your decision-making and the application, the "how-to" of the concepts. They'll give you lots of situations and ask "what should the PM have done differently to avoid this" or "what should the PM do FIRST to remedy the situation." Then all the answers are logical, but you have to really know what is the first thing the PM would do. So it's the nuance of things that makes the PMP hard. I did not encounter many (prob. 5-6 total) EVM related questions, and they were very easy, nothing tricky there. But the situational ones I found tricky. Good luck, don't stop studying till the end. A little bit every day will help you remember terms for the exam.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login