fbpx

Reply: signing of project charter

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : signing of project charter

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
6 years 4 months ago #12295

Anonymous

's Avatar

Somebody becomes a project sponsor after he signs the charter. It is senior management's responsibility to authorize the project hence they are responsible for assigning a project sponsor for the project
7 years 5 months ago #8535

Haazim

's Avatar

Did anyone receive clarity on this issue? My understanding of PMBOK and experience as a PM leads me to believe that it is the Sponsor's responsibility to sign the charter.
8 years 2 months ago #6801

Cecil D'Souza

Tracey

Some times, I wonder if we were to send these type of questions directly to the PMI, if they would be willing to respond with the answer. I understand that in most companies now, they are actually trying to involve all the stakeholders a lot more closely than before in th development of the Project charter and they also sign the project charter. That is possibly why 'Senior management' is the answer chosen.

According to PMBOK v5, the guide does not explicitly state that the Sponsor signs the charter. It states that the project charter should be authored by the sponsoring entity. Projects are initiated by an entity external to the project such as a sponsor, program, PMP staff person or portfolio governing body chairperson. And the initiator or Sponsor must be at a level appropriate to procure funding and commit resources to the Project. So the term sponsoring entity could be any entity external to the project. Frankly, I just need the correct answer for the exam.
8 years 3 months ago #6628

Tracey South

Hi Everyone: I deleted my post. You are correct, I mis-read the article. I also believe the Sponsor signs off on the charter. In my previous experience, the sponsor typically is from senior management. (They have held the purse strings in the companies I have worked for and are the only ones authorized to initiate projects). So, with that example, hypothetically both are correct.

In Andy Crowe's book, The PMP Exam, How to Pass on Your First Try (5th edition), it does explicitly state the the Project Charter is signed by the performing organization's senior management (Pg. 57) I don't think I've helped answer the question, only to spur further debate. It would be great if someone could come in and clearly articulate this.

Thanks...Tracey
8 years 3 months ago #6620

Cecil D'Souza

's Avatar

I still did not see the correct answer to the question regarding the project charter. Is it sponsor or Sr. Management. I dont need ant ecplanation further.

I am also not sure why Cornelius will refer to PMBOK v3 or v4 when we are well into PMBOK V5. I would think that all references to PMBOK V3 OR V4 must be removed to avoid confusion.
8 years 3 months ago #6617

Vivek Gupta

yes, Article says that sponsor should sign. Can you please elaborate more why Answer B is correct

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login