Welcome, Guest
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Cost estimate question

Cost estimate question 1 year 1 hour ago #6599

• Jay Fitzgerald
  • Fresh Boarder
Here's a question I had on a simulated exam in Cost Management. I need someone to break down the explanation in easy to understand terms. I don't fully understand the reasoning the exam gave.

You just completed a cost estimate on the project, and you're assuming there's a 15% chance you will exceed this estimate. You are:

A. Above the mean
B. Above the median
C. Below the mean
D. Below the median

The exam said that the correct answer was A. However, I can't understand their explanation of how I am to figure this out on the real exam.

Cost estimate question 11 months 2 weeks ago #6691

• Jonathan Emmons
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Hi Jay -

Can you please provide the source for the question? Was it the PM Prepcast's exam simulator or a product from another vendor?

To be honest this one has me confused as well, as you would typically see median and mean used to describe central tendency among a collection of data points, not as a quality of cost estimates. But I might be misunderstanding the context. Did the simulator provide additional feedback other than the correct answer?
Jonathan Emmons, PMP
Community Moderator

Cost estimate question 11 months 1 week ago #6712

• Jay Fitzgerald
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Jonathan! I actually can't remember where I saw this question. It was either the PM PrepCast or from Rita's bank of questions. Those are the only simulated exams I've taken so far.
Moderators: Yolanda Mabutas, Ahmed Amin, Scott Gillard, Michael DeCicco, Rahul Kakkar, Fernando Jr Sinlao Lim, Mary Kathrine Padua, Chris Preziotti, Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL, Christian Winter, Kevin Nason, Michael Sumaquial, PMP, Mark Wuenscher, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®