fbpx

Reply: Threshold to pass the exam

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Threshold to pass the exam

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
8 years 4 months ago #6542

Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL

Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL's Avatar

Hi, Yasir and Elena,

The comment is from me. I was the one who did the mistake
Thank you.
Lazard
8 years 4 months ago #6541

Yasir Mehmood

Hi Elena,

I believe a moderator edited your question and added their answer there by mistake but what they've said is correct.
Don't be demotivated, we've all been there. As you noted the percentage of correct answers is not disclosed by PMI. The calculation of a pass / fail is very confusing but your goal should remain the same - aim for 80% or higher on consecutive practice exams on each domain. The 80% goal is also not a hard and fast line - I've seen people score consistently around 70-75% on simulators and go on to pass the exam. Your first exam in a simulator will result in a lower score usually as you become accustomed to how questions are worded, deal with fatigue, and a host of other such factors. Just remember that it's a marathon, not a race. Use practice exams to expose which areas you need to focus on and check why the correct answer was what it was.

On the actual exam you can get "Moderately Proficient" in a few areas and "Proficient" in other areas and still pass the exam. Everyone will have an area or two that they're slightly weaker on but the goal is to be strong enough and that's what the simulators are beautiful at doing - exposing areas that need to be strengthened.

During the last few days of my preparation for the exam I actually went through a lot of simulated exams, at times submitting them without answering any questions at all just to get to see what the correct answers are and the reasoning (quick way of making sure you understand the concepts without spending 3+ hours on a full length simulated exam). Do take as many practice exams as you can though and don't worry about how the exam is scored.
8 years 4 months ago #6540

Elena Farne

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit confused about what is requested to pass the exam. I'm aware that the actual percentage is not disclosed by PMI (anywhere between 65-69%?), but I'd like to understand whether this is calculated on each single domain or overall.
E.g. in my first exam trail on the Simulator I scored 78% but I failed because BP in Planning (68.85%) :-( I got fairly demotivated.
I have my PMP exam scheduled for next week and I'd like to understand your recommendation on wished % before showing up to the exam.
Many thanks to anyone who can help,
Elena

hi, Elena,
your question is valid and many students had the same question before the exam. It is recommended to have 80% of correct answers before taking the exam and it is also good to have this level for each process Group. So if you have below Proficiency in a particular process Group or knowledge area you need to work on. Project management goes across board. We need to have at least 4 or 5 consecutive times 80% for new questions to judge yourself fit for the exam. That's my advice. I also advise people to do not look for 5P before going for the exam, PMI requires less than that. You need to understand the process and be able to apply to a particular situation. As you know PMBOK is the basis or foundation of the PMP but you need additional information or source to build your knowledge.
Keep your effort up and build your confidence as you go.
Best regards.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login