fbpx

Reply: PM PrepCast Study Process

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : PM PrepCast Study Process

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
8 years 7 months ago #6025

Markus Kopko, PMP

Hi David,

why not taking this as a own project? Do a plan and do a schedule. You have the end date (in January or may be in decemeber if this works better for you).

Now plan backwards and see if there is enough time or just plan forwards and see if time is enough and if not, than apply scheduling technics like fast tracking, crashing and so on ...

What i wanna say: there is not really a shortcut!

You may take a little risk, focus on some areas and leave others aside. May be you got lucky and take it down ... but what if not?!. Than you have a much bigger problem since you have only one shot, cause after this exam changes significantly and you have to restart new, right.

Well, just act like a pro! Take it serious, do a plan and stick to it!

This article here may be helpfull for the case you didn't know it allready:

✪ Creating Your PMP Study Plan - The Complete Guide ✪
wren.cf/5z

Best of luck!

Markus
8 years 7 months ago #6016

Todd Hammer

I like Dawn's thought about not rushing too much. If you are dedicated and give it 2 hours a night and a little more on weekends, you can probably be ready by January. It really comes down to how much time you are able to dedicate to it.
8 years 7 months ago #6013

Dawn Upperman

Hi David,

What I did was listen to enough of the videos to get my 35 hour contact hour requirement fulfilled for the application process. I then switched to the Rita Mulcahy PMP study guide. I also reviewed the PMBOK guide. All of these resources gave me a well rounded understanding of the material, which, to me was most important. I also took tests using the PM exam simulator and practiced using the various formulas. I timed myself in creating a "brain dump" in 5 minutes which really helped. I still had time to go back and listen to any PM Prepcast videos I may have missed or needed to hear again.

I would not be too concerned about the exam changing. I actually started studying for my exam just before it was set to change in July 2013 (started studying in May 2013). Although I most likely could have passed it, I opted to wait and take the newer one as trying to meet the exam change deadline was causing me too much stress. I took it in October 2013 and passed. Those few extra months of study really helped.

I suggest focusing on understanding and getting a grasp of the material.

Best of luck!
8 years 7 months ago #6012

Ahmed Amin

Hello David,
if you are worried about the exam changes, my recommendation is the changes are normally very limited and if you studied well you can pass both the old and the new exam versions. so focus your efforts on understanding the materials.

Good Luck.
8 years 7 months ago #6010

David

Dan - My constraint is to take and pass the exam before it changes. I understand the deadline has been moved by PMI from Nov. 1st this year to Jan. 11th next year. But I strive to get this done this year. I have already read (not study) the PMBOK guide once so now I am diving into the details. Do you recommend me to take a 4 hrs exam simulator after I finish each Module/Chapter?
8 years 7 months ago #6009

Tracey South

Hi David!

A method that I found helpful when organizing my study plan was to look at exam outline provided by the PMI within the Project Management Professional (PMP) Examination Content Outline ( www.pmi.org/~/media/PDF/Certifications/e...al-exam-outline.ashx ). When I felt overwhelmed, I would go back to this outline and confirm that my efforts matched the breakdown.

I've attached a snippet of the Exam Content Outline.

The PM PrepCast video catalogue is indeed huge - but very beneficial. I started my studies by doing the overview of each of the modules. I found that was a good introduction to all the concepts. I then used a study guide book that matched my learning style. I worked through a knowledge area in the book. Did some pre-tests and then picked videos that filled any gaps in my learning. If I had the time or required more indepth explanations, I worked through the entire module until I had it down cold. I then moved on to the next knowledge area.

Everyone is different and you will need to find a style that matches your way of learning. Cramming is not recommended. You won't learn that way, you will only memorize. The exam questions are mostly scenario based so you will need to apply what you have learned. It is worth the investment of time. Work towards your exam date. Move it if you truly aren't prepared but don't give yourself too much time or you may find that you are still not prepared when the new date actually arrives.

Best of luck!

Tracey
Attachments:

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login