fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Multiple best answers

Multiple best answers 8 years 8 months ago #5805

• Nishant Desai
  • Nishant Desai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,

I was taking a question as stated below during practice exam.

Robert works for an air cargo handling company. He has been asked to design a new shipment tracking process for the company. This process is required to electronically track every customer shipment and provide updates. Once designed and approved, Robert is required to transfer this process to the Operations team for implementation. What type of process has been assigned to Robert?
A.) It is considered an operations process because it will be used continuously.
B.) It is considered an operations process because air cargo handling falls under operations.
C.) It is considered a project because it has a specific beginning and a specific end.
D.) It is considered a project since it contains a deliverable.

After reading question multiple times, I concluded that it is definitely a project and I chose answer "D" as BEST answer because at end of project, Robert will deliver some sort of system and process (might be intangible output) to operational team for further implementation. However, answer C also looks correct, because it is also one of the characteristics of a Project by its definition.

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong or immature.

Thanks!!!

Multiple best answers 8 years 8 months ago #5812

• Narayan Shanbhag
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,

The best answer to this question is option "C".
An activity is classified as a "Project" not because it generates a deliverable, but because it has a specific beginning and specific end.
As you would know, even an Operation generates a deliverable (e.g. product).
Hope to have clarified your query.

Thanks

Multiple best answers 8 years 8 months ago #5815

• Dawn Upperman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Nishant,

I am inclined to agree with Narayan. Option "C" looks to be the best answer as it is a project assigned to Robert and his involvement has a beginning and end.

Multiple best answers 8 years 8 months ago #5820

• Rahul Kakkar
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 56
Hi Nishant,

I too would go with Option C.

The PMBOK guide states "Unlike the ongoing nature of operations, projects are temporary endeavors.".

This is the key difference between operations and a project.

Operations too can produce a deliverable, so Option C is the best response and not Option D.

Hope this helps.
Rahul Kakkar, PMP, MBA
Community Moderator

How are we doing? Your opinion matters. To help us improve, please check out our survey at www.surveymonkey.com/s/pmpexamforum
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login