fbpx

Reply: Study Routine: PMBOK + PrepBook + PrepCast

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Study Routine: PMBOK + PrepBook + PrepCast

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
8 years 10 months ago #5610

Steve Sandoval

I used Rita Mulcahey's PMP Exam Prep book, and quite liked it. I agree with the recommendations to check out the lessons learn forum -- there is much good information there.

I personally would not recommend trying to read the PMBOK from cover to cover. I would use it as a reference for any topics that are not clear during your studies, and perhaps to skim over sections that are the same topic as what you're covering in the Prepcast or in your other book. Stop and read anything that looks interesting. But I personally found that trying to just sit and read it was not an effective way for me to familiarize myself with the information -- it was much too dense for me!
8 years 10 months ago #5602

Ahmed Amin

Hello Leonardo,

I recommend that you skim over the PMBOK parallel with watching the Prepcast. It will speed reading the PMBOK as the content of the prepcast is organized in a way that is very close to how the PMBOK guide is organized. also it will be some sort of review after watching the Prepcast.

I personally did the same and it was very helpful.
8 years 10 months ago #5600

Leonardo Menis Rist

Hello Sarah,

I personally find that read the entire PMBOK twice will be the most chalenging part of my studies. Hopefully I will not need a lot of time to read everything.
I have decided to use Rita's PrepBook as well, I have read some good reviews about it. A friend of mine have also used it and recommended.

I have planned my studies as the following so far:
1. Watch the complete PrepCast alone.
2. Read Rita's PrepBook followed by the related content again in the PrepCast.
3. Read the complete PMBOK :unsure:
4. Answer questions related to the previously studied content. Once all content is covered, start with the 200 questions exam simulation.
5. Review the contents I need to improve and try new questions until I can answer 80% of NEW questions correctly several times.

My only concern with this approach is the time needed to read the PMBOK and if it will somehow negatively affect what I have already studied.
8 years 10 months ago #5598

Sarah Burden

Hi Leonardo,

I used the PM PrepCast as my primary tool for studying for the exam. I supplemented this with Rita and he PMBOK (although I got so frustrated with how poorly edited the PMBOK is, that I stopped reading it altogether and still passed the exam!).

My strategy was:
1 do all the PrepCast modules for a subject area and take the mini exam. If I felt I understood it I moved on.
2 if I did not feel I understood it, I read Rita for that section and did another mini exam.
3 each week I did a mock exam (from week 1, so you have a baseline)
4 once all the modules were complete, then I did another baseline exam.
5 the remaining time was spent brushing up on my weak areas and doing mock exams.

Many people will tell you that you need to read the PMBOK at least twice. If you are not an editor at heart then I would recommend reading it, but I found that it detracted from my learning.

However, you do need to find the strategy that works for you. The main piece of advice I would give is do not overload yourself. Pick two or three key sources and use them.

Good luck.
8 years 10 months ago #5578

Leonardo Menis Rist

Hello Ahmed,
Sure, I will check the LL forum in this case.
8 years 10 months ago #5577

Leonardo Menis Rist

Hello Sathish,
I believe that read the PMBOK after the Prep material is indeed a good approach.
Being familiar with the PMP topics will make easier the reading of such a technical book like the PMBOK.
Thanks for sharing your experience!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login