fbpx

Reply: how to fill in the experience

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : how to fill in the experience

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
8 years 10 months ago #5528

Sarah Burden

Hello Chor,

It would really help if we knew what your specific queries are about filling in the experience part of the application. We have lots of experience between us that you can draw on.

If the previous advice given here does not help, please give us some specific problems that you have.
8 years 10 months ago #5458

Steve Sandoval

Hello Chor,

I spent a lot of time worrying about this before I started filling out the application. Once I did, I recall that there was a length limit -- and I was running out of space! This was exactly the opposite of what I had been concerned about. I had worried about putting in the required level of detail, but I ended up needed to cut down the length considerably! By the time it fit, it was much higher level than I had originally planned.

I agree with Scott about using keywords related to PMI / PMP. But overall I recommend sitting down and starting to fill out your application -- this ultimately will give you the best feel for how much room you have left, and how detailed you can be.

Good luck!
8 years 10 months ago #5445

Dawn Upperman

Hi Chor,

You can also include projects that you may have done on a volunteer basis. Let us know if you have another questions. Best of luck!
8 years 10 months ago #5444

Scott Gillard

One suggestion is to make sure and use Key PMP terms like Initiating, executing, Closing, etc. such as "managed 3 projects in 2014 including initiating of one and additionally executing and closing the other two."
"was key in communicating to key stakeholders..."

It's like putting key words in your resume. Same concept applies here.
8 years 10 months ago #5443

Michael DeCicco

Chu Lam, what type of difficulty do you have in filling out the experience section on your application.
We've had numerous PMP applicants ask us for assistance.
The major types of difficulty are
1. Knowing if your job description is acceptable for Project Management application.
2. Knowing whose name you should use as a reference.
3. Knowing what to do if you get audited.

Are these areas you have trouble with?

If you have read the handbook reference provided by Mr. Amin, and you still have questions, please feel free to ask them here.

How are we doing? Your opinion matters. To help us improve, please check out our survey at www.surveymonkey.com/s/pmpexamforum
8 years 10 months ago #5442

Ahmed Amin

Hi Chor,
I recommend that you read the PMP handbook , it contains all information that you may look for. in Page 10 it contains a section "How to Record Your Experience & Education on the Application".

and below are some advises on how to select the projects to add to your experience:
1- Use recent projects, these will be easier to fill in their details and to be verified in case of audits.
2- Minimize the number of references (approvers) by listing multiple projects with the same stakeholder.
3- Use larger projects to minimize the number of projects.

Good Luck

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login