fbpx

Reply: Basic question on Approving changes

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Basic question on Approving changes

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
9 years 1 week ago #5286

Murambwa Clever Haparari

But I would think that the CCB could be made up of Sponsor and Senior Management, why would you have Junior Personnel on the CCB. Sponsor or customer may be next level of approval if they have not been part of the CCB.

Guns out for CCB to approve primary constraints changes.
9 years 2 weeks ago #5264

Steve Sandoval

Sagar,

I agree with Ahmed, that the CCB should be the correct answer. The CCB controls your project's baselines (such as scope, budget, and schedule).

However, I think I can understand why whoever wrote that question said the answer is 3. For massive, fundamental changes to a project, additional leadership buy-in is typically required. If management kicks off a project to accomplish X, and then later your CCB decides to only accomplish X/10 (without consulting senior management), you're going to have problems!
9 years 2 weeks ago #5254

Sagar

's Avatar

Thanks micheal for your explanation.
9 years 2 weeks ago #5252

Batool Morales

's Avatar

So Michael should we always think that any contraint changes must be approved by Senior managements ?
Thanks
9 years 2 weeks ago #5249

Michael DeCicco

You're right Sagar. This is a basic question, but I think it goes deeper than project change management. Let's try to understand the question further by going to the introduction of PMBOK. I think the question wants you think strategically as opposed to the tactical level of project management execution. Let me explain

We are being asked to change constraints.

In the PMBOK 5th Edition, p.5, balancing constraints [which are often imposed through the business case analysis and subsequent approved charter] include scope, quality schedule, budget, and resources. Affecting one affects others and more than likely the project you are working on is not the only one in your organzation. It might be, but large organizations have Program Management Offices to oversee the distribution of these necessities. Often these necessities are what senior management authorizes because they can't have well-meaning project managers deciding to change timelines and budgets at whim. That not only spells trouble for you as a project manager, but impacts the senior management's resourcing of its strategic initiatives.

So if your project has a constraint in total time or funding allotted, you should expect to bring this to the attention of the sponsor who may simply be your office manager or one level up and would not be someone who can decide on re-allocated resources to your project without some form of approval from senior managers.
9 years 2 weeks ago #5247

Sagar

's Avatar

Thanks Amin for your quick reply. I took this from Edwel PMP bootcamp book.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login