fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: A Math Question from Formula study guide

A Math Question from Formula study guide 9 years 5 months ago #4826

• Abhirup Banerjee
  • Abhirup Banerjee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi,

I have a doubt in one of the question from 105 question for the formula study guide.

Question 10: PV = 100, EV = 105, BAC = 400, AC = 102, CV = 3. What is the Estimate to Complete (ETC)?
A.) 298
B.) 300
C.) 305
D.) 295

My doubt is while calcuating the EAC, and BAC/CPI formula is not considerd at all.
Insted the following formula is being used : EAC= AC + (BAC-EV);ETC=EAC-AC=295

The question doesn't explicitly mention that the variance will not happen again

The answer is determined assuming that the variance will not happen again and hence the following formula is used:

EAC= AC+(BAC-EV)

Why it is not considered that variance will remain? and the following formula could have been used:

ETC=EAC-AC=BAC/CPI-AC=286.5
IMPOSSIBLE Itself says I M POSSIBLE

A Math Question from Formula study guide 9 years 5 months ago #4828

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 606
Abhirup,

I'm not sure what version of the Formula Study Guide from www.pmformulas.com you are looking at, but in the current version, the question is as follows:

Question 10: PV = 100, EV = 105, BAC = 400, AC = 102, CV = 3. What is the Estimate to Complete (ETC) assuming that work will continue at the planned rate?

Therefore, the question clearly states that the "work will continue at the planned rate" [= the variance will not happen again]. As such the formula used, answer and explanation are correct.

Also consider looking at this from the perspective of the available answers:

You chose a different formula to calculate the ETC and your result was "286.5". As you can clearly see, that value is not available in the 4 given answers. Therefore, this means that the formula you have chosen does not lead to a "correct" result - at least for this question.

So for the PMP Exam this means: If the formula you are using does not result in a number that is also available as one of the four answers, it means that you have selected the "wrong" formula. At least, it is "wrong" in the sense that it does not result in an available answer.

Does this last bit make sense?
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC

A Math Question from Formula study guide 9 years 5 months ago #4833

• Abhirup Banerjee
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
"work will continue at the planned rate" this sentence was not in the formula study guide pdf file from www.pmformulas.com which I got as a package when I bought it.

Now with this one, yes I already agree the correct formula is EAC= AC+(BAC-EV).

Thank you Sir :)

A Math Question from Formula study guide 9 years 5 months ago #4834

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 606
Abhirup,

Please look in the footer of the document you have. What is the version number you see?
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC

A Math Question from Formula study guide 9 years 5 months ago #4836

• Abhirup Banerjee
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Version 5.01

A Math Question from Formula study guide 9 years 5 months ago #4850

• Maricel Cuevas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Abhirap,

Kindly check your email address This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., I have re-sent the latest version of the PM Formulas.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login