fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Communications Management v Stakeholder Management

Communications Management v Stakeholder Management 9 years 4 months ago #4731

• Joe Muccianti
  • Joe Muccianti's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Will someone provide a thorough explanation of the differences between Communications Management Plan and Stakeholder Management Plan, and the two knowledge areas in general?

In the PMBoK on page 403, the fourth bullet says that the Stakeholder Management Plan includes the stakeholder communication requirements, but then on page 406, it says the Communication Plan is an input because it has stakeholder communication requirements.

I need some concrete method to differentiate the two processes and knowledge areas. I know that PMI recently split the two so there is a high level of interconnectivity, but there is still some sort of distinct difference I am not getting.

Thanks

Communications Management v Stakeholder Management 9 years 4 months ago #4732

• Michael DeCicco
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
Hopefully you don't feel put off by my short response. I want to clear up the distinction between Communications Management v Stakeholder Management. What stands out from the Project's I've managed and what I've studied is CM is holistic planning, preparation, and distribution of information throughout the project/phase of project. Stakeholder Management incorporates the CM as an input because there will be a planned way to communicate, but overall the SM is about ensuring you have support throughout your project. So you use this knowledge area on how to devise that need. Here's where stakeholder analyis is vital. Knowing the information needs of your stakeholder will enable you cater to the way they want to be information, thereby ensuring you have their continued support. Also, there are stakeholders who may not support your project, but are affected by its outcome. You've got to manage them in a way that prevents their role as obstacles to your endstate.
Yours Respectfully
Michael DeCicco, PMP
Community Moderator

Communications Management v Stakeholder Management 9 years 4 months ago #4734

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 604
Joe,

Please take a look at my eBook "The Short Guide to The PMBOK Guide" which you can download for free here:

www.project-management-prepcast.com/shortpmb

It's a great overview of all the knowledge areas and should help you understand the difference between Communications Management and Stakeholder Management.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mohammed Abdul Aziz, Holly Barnhart
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login