fbpx

Reply: Questions on Employer Certification of Experience

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Questions on Employer Certification of Experience

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
9 years 4 months ago #4752

Ahmed Amin

I think a "Primary stakeholder" would be the best choice.
9 years 4 months ago #4749

Vinayak Sharma

Hello Ahmed, I read your comment about getting a colleague to verify your experience.

However on the form only the following four options are listed:
1. Project Sponsor
2. Manager/Director
3. Client
4. Primary Stakeholder

Under what category would you classify a colleague (who was not your manager)? Thank you in advance.
9 years 4 months ago #4741

Ahmed Amin

This is good news to hear, wish you all the best.
9 years 4 months ago #4740

Daniel Levy

Thanks. I re-read the FAQ as you advised, and also put more thought into the stakeholders on the projects I've worked on at my current company. There was a consultant who was working for the company at the time, so now I feel confident that I can list him to verify my role in the projects.
9 years 4 months ago #4726

Ahmed Amin

Hi Daniel.

My Advise to you is you should do what ever it takes to execute your personal development plans and create your own chances for better opportunities. I wish you all the success.

regarding your inquiries, I prefer if you can go through the PMI audit FAQ , it will clear most of your inquiries.

and I want to specifically highlight two points:
1- PMI can furnish an audit candidate with a general letter outlining the purpose of the audit to any verifying manager or supervisor.
2- Candidates can have a colleague, peer, client or sponsor who has intimate knowledge of the project verify.
3- a colleague from the project can verify, or a current manager or supervisor who has direct knowledge of the project can verify.
9 years 5 months ago #4713

Daniel Levy

I've started to work on The PMP Application Form and have hit a stumbling block. One of the many reasons I have decided to pursue a PMP is because I am currently working in a very toxic environment at a small company in a narrow niche industry. It is my hope that PMP Accreditation will help potential employers see beyond the scope of the narrow industry I've been in for the last 13 years. I have been leading and managing projects since about 1989. I seem to remember reading that the 4500 documented hours are supposed to be related to work performed in the last 6.5 years. Is that true?

I ran my own business from 2005 - 2010 and sold the assets to my current employer. At this point in time, the only Primary Staekholder who can verify my project work is my current employer. I'm in such a hostile work environment that I fear that there could be retribution against me if I approach my supervisor (the CEO) and ask him to verify my experience in my pursuit of PMP Accreditation. He would assume that my motivation for the PMP would be to either leave his company or demand higher compensation. However, if I don't verify with him prior to submitting my application, and I was subsequently audited, the outcome could potentially be even worse.

Any advice on what to do? Is it possible to list lessor stakeholders such as vendors and clients as contacts to verify my project management experience? Is there a way I can explain why I have chosen to leave out my employer due to the potential for negative repercussions? If I can list project management experience from more than ten years ago, most of the companies are no longer in business. How would that fly? Or should I just suck it up and talk to my current CEO. After all, what is the real harm if he becomes more aware that I am unhappy in my current position and want to make a change?

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login