fbpx

Reply: Need Clarification on PERT

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Need Clarification on PERT

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
8 years 7 months ago #6020

Christi McGinley

Good discussion. Additional question I have is sometimes on the test exams, I'm supposed to know when to use Triangular and when to use PERT. Do you have any tips there?
8 years 7 months ago #5915

Ryan Bahrey

Thank you, Michael.
8 years 7 months ago #5914

Michael DeCicco

Ryan, in my experience, I have found PMP study prep and simulation questions used the PERT rather than the triangular. I honestly do not recall getting a question on a simulation or on my exam requiring the triangular formula. If others have experienced similar situations, then there should be no reason why you should see something different. Now don't forget any question about the PERT will most likely have some key words such as "optimistic" so you'll know to use that formula.
8 years 7 months ago #5913

Ryan Bahrey

Revisiting this thread (there are only 3 entries on this topic).
I ran into a similar question about when to use Triangular vs. Beta Distribution method on the Formula Study Guide (# 58 in the 105 Questions). I don't specifically see guidance to use one formula over the other in the PMBOK guide page 170 or 171. However, I do see that the Beta Distribution has, in parentheses, "from the traditional PERT technique" next to the formula label.

i.e., Beta Distribution (from the traditional PERT technique). tE = (tO + 4tM + tP) / 6

Am I to read this as -- use the Beta Distribution formula unless specifically instructed to use the triangular distribution?
9 years 5 months ago #4712

Rowell Velasco

Thank you for clarification Ahmed.
9 years 5 months ago #4711

Ahmed Amin

Hi Rowell,
in any question asking for PERT estimate you always use the formula Duration = (Optimistic + 4*Most Likely + Pessimistic)/6 as outlined in the PMBOK guide page 170.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login