fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Using KINDLE to Read the PMBOK 5th Ediction Book

Using KINDLE to Read the PMBOK 5th Ediction Book 9 years 8 months ago #4510

• John Mellody
  • John Mellody's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • If there is any good I can do, let me do it now!
  • Thank you received: 0
I joined the PMI and was sent a copy of the PMBOK 5th Edition as a PDF file. The only problem I encountered was that it had all the security features turned on so you could not Cut, Copy, paste or highlight the book.

I model my reading style from the book by Mortimer Adler, "How to Read a Book". He stresses the importance of being able to create an outline by marking the top of each page each time a topic changes. I could not do this.

I instead, spent an additional $20 and purchased a Kindle copy of the book. This a licensed copy and has some great benefits. I am able to highlight, add notes, copy and past up to a whole page. It has an index that shows me where I am at in the book and all the subsections for each chapter. It has popular highlights from other readers, and all the tables, illustrations and table of contents are hyperlinks that jump me to that topic. There is a seperate table of contents for all Figures and Tables.

Not only does it help me to read on screen, from my smart phone or any PC I have the free software on, but it keeps track of where I left off at on reading and by looking at the highlights I can easily see what parts I have read and still need to complete. Very helpful.
As a side note, all of the prepcast self examinations after each Chaper are actually PDF's. You can copy these to the MY KINDLE folder in your MY DOCUMENTS area and open these for ease of viewing and annotating as needed to learn from each quiz. I also use Evernote free software to keep my scores and answers to each quiz so I can have a running history of how I am doing on each section of the test, and where I left off at.

Hope this helps.

John Mellody, IT Manager

Using KINDLE to Read the PMBOK 5th Ediction Book 9 years 8 months ago #4512

• Jeremy Papp
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Hi John,

That's great information. I admit I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to moving away from physical books to digital versions; especially for the purpose of studying. I didn't even entertain the idea of using the PDF for the purpose of studying. My physical copy shows the battle scars of highlighting, notes, coffee stains, and dividers.

Thank you for sharing, this will help others for sure!

Jeremy

Using KINDLE to Read the PMBOK 5th Ediction Book 7 years 9 months ago #7651

• Philipp
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi John,

one question: Where did you buy the pmbok guide kindle edition for only $20?

Thanks

Best Regards
Philipp

Using KINDLE to Read the PMBOK 5th Ediction Book 7 years 9 months ago #7652

• Rahul Kakkar
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 56
Hi Philipp,

John paid an additional $20.

You can purchase the kindle edition from the Amazon store
Rahul Kakkar, PMP, MBA
Community Moderator

How are we doing? Your opinion matters. To help us improve, please check out our survey at www.surveymonkey.com/s/pmpexamforum

Using KINDLE to Read the PMBOK 5th Ediction Book 6 years 4 months ago #12579

• AK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello John,

The prepcast videos, do they work on Kindle? Meaning you were able to download and view them on Kindle HD? Wanted to confirm before I subscribe

Thank you

Using KINDLE to Read the PMBOK 5th Ediction Book 6 years 4 months ago #12586

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 606
AK,

Please visit www.project-management-prepcast.com/free where you can sign up to the FREE PrepCast to try and see if everything works for you on the Kindle.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC

Using KINDLE to Read the PMBOK 5th Ediction Book 3 years 5 months ago #24247

• Rob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
How were you able to get a Kindle version for only $20??

Using KINDLE to Read the PMBOK 5th Ediction Book 3 years 5 months ago #24248

• Rob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Understood, but you're not even going to get a ToC for $20

Using KINDLE to Read the PMBOK 5th Ediction Book 3 years 2 months ago #26360

• Plan B,
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I was about to buy a kinddle just for my PM books when I realized this issue.
I couldnt fix the issue to go into kinddle without paying, but I think I find a better alternative.
PDF files nowadays have the voice reader option with works much better for me than kinddle, I can still use my PC or phone but now I can study on the car. B)
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login