fbpx

Reply: Order of Depreciation Methods.

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Order of Depreciation Methods.

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
9 years 10 months ago #4298

Cornelius Fichtner

Hi Ashwin,

I believe that your question is outside of what you need to know for the PMP Exam. However, here is my understanding:

First of all, the depreciation method you use has less to do with "which one is fastest" but more with "which one is permissible". Depreciation affects your company's taxable income and therefore it is your local tax authority that will tell you which of the methods you are allowed to use in which circumstances.

Second, if you depreciate an asset over five years then the value of the asset will be 0 at the end of the five years no matter which method you use.

And third, it is my understanding that the double declining balance method depreciates more in the early years than the other two. The sum of years method is second and straight line is third. (But again... you don't need this for the PMP exam).
9 years 10 months ago #4297

Ashwin Kini

Do we have a defined order of Depreciation Methods that provides higher write-offs early in order of it's acceleration?

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login