fbpx

Reply: responsibility for applying the processes?!

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : responsibility for applying the processes?!

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
9 years 9 months ago #4323

Markus Kopko, PMP

@Robert (or anyone else):

no more discussion?
9 years 9 months ago #4310

Markus Kopko, PMP

Hi Cornelius,

i absolutely understand your position.
Thx for your fast response on that.

You and your team doing a great job!

best regards,

Markus
9 years 9 months ago #4309

Cornelius Fichtner

Markus,

As the creator and owner of The PM Exam Simulator and the 1,800 questions it contains I can not approve that our questions are publicly posted in discussion forums other than our own. We would consider it to be a copyright violation.
9 years 9 months ago #4308

Markus Kopko, PMP

Hi there,

i have a question:

I would kindly ask if it is ok, when i post this specific question for discussion also in some other boards (e.g. LinkedIn)?

Of course i would point out the ressource where the question comes from and i also would add a link to the PMP Prep Cast allways.

I would love to here what other (often allready experienced PM's and PMP's) have to say about that.
I would refer to the "fair use" there.

Thx in advance and best regards.

Markus
9 years 9 months ago #4306

Markus Kopko, PMP

Hi Robert,

thank you for your kind words and for the response.

Here my thoughts:

Robert Decraene wrote: Hello Markus,

.... That being said, it makes sense to me that the project manager will not always be the subject matter expert for every task and activity that encompasses a project.

For instance, if I'm the project manager working for an innovative and specialized technology project, chances are I'm not going to be the subject matter expert on all the mechanisms within the project. As the project manager, I must consult with my firmware, software, and development experts so I can create a robust project scope statement and develop a realistic schedule, budget, risk register, etc. Project managers often confer the expertise of their team so they can plan accordingly.

Well, i know that the project manager is not allway the subject matter expert for everything hapening at his/her project. This wouldn't work in real life. :) I am a project manager in the IT Industry for several years now and also dealing with the PMBOK Guide knowledge since a few years (just didn't the exam yet, but this will happen in a few weeks now).
It is totally clear to me, that the project manager is not the expert for everything and therefore he/she had the project team and other experts arround.
But in the end he/she is responsible for all the results and everything what is happening while the project.
In my experience sometimes it could be even counter productive, if the project manager (may be recruited out of the available experts) is the best subject matter expert in his project ...

Robert Decraene wrote: I hope this makes sense. In any case, I understand your frustration and I can see how you might have misinterpreted the question to be asking for the person or party responsible for the project's process results. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns regarding this and I will do my best to clarify.

First of all don't worry, i am not frustrated, not at all. It makes really fun to me to fresh up my PMP knowledge with the help of the pm prep cast and all the other stuff available here. You guys do a really great job here.
I am just a fan of precision (may because of my german background ;) ).
And i am still convinced that i did not missinterprete the question.

From my sight of view the question is clearly asking for the responsibility and not for who is performing the determination ...

It asked:

Who is responsible for determining ...

it asked not:

Who will conduct (do, perform, execute ...) the determination ...

Don't get me wrong; i do not want to be anoying and it is true, it is not reall THAT important regarding this specific question.
But it is more for instance and for making the point clear regarding what you allready mentioned, that it is really important to read the questions full and concentrated and precise and to get the right context of all of the questions.

I think the discussion could help therefore.

Best regards,

Markus
9 years 9 months ago #4295

Robert Decraene

Hello Markus,

Thanks a lot for providing your insight and concerns regarding the wording of the question/answer of this question. I must admit that the wording and context of PMP Exam questions were the most challenging obstacle for me during my first couple months of preparation. Simply because the context of questions and answers are subject to the interpretation of the receiver.

I would often doubt my personal interpretation of questions on the PMP Exam Simulator; this ultimately caused me to waste time during my practice exam because I was looking too far into the question. The question below looks as if it is asking for the party responsible for deciphering the project processes that are appropriate, as well as the degree of effort and care that should be taken into account for each of these processes. That being said, it makes sense to me that the project manager will not always be the subject matter expert for every task and activity that encompasses a project.

For instance, if I'm the project manager working for an innovative and specialized technology project, chances are I'm not going to be the subject matter expert on all the mechanisms within the project. As the project manager, I must consult with my firmware, software, and development experts so I can create a robust project scope statement and develop a realistic schedule, budget, risk register, etc. Project managers often confer the expertise of their team so they can plan accordingly.

I hope this makes sense. In any case, I understand your frustration and I can see how you might have misinterpreted the question to be asking for the person or party responsible for the project's process results. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns regarding this and I will do my best to clarify.

P.S. Your English is great from an American perspective and fantastic from a foreign perspective. Give yourself more credit!! ;)

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login