fbpx

Reply: Project constraints

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Project constraints

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
9 years 10 months ago #4239

Sven Gruendahl

You are very welcome!
9 years 10 months ago #4238

Chanchala Joshi

Thanks Sven. It is clear now.
9 years 10 months ago #4237

Sven Gruendahl

Hi Joshi,

managing a project typically includes balancing the competing project constraints.
And you are right this includes " Scope; Quality, Schedule, Budget, Rescoures and Risk.

The relationship among these factors is such that if any one factor changes, at least one other factor
is likely to be affected.
So it is not a "hard link" that if you increase Quality to X you are automatically able to calculate directly
that Time increases toY ;)

So in terms of answering PMP questions you need to apply just logic here.
For example:
You can increase quality when you find out that your machine which is e.g. cutting steal for your project deliverable
needs to be slightly ajusted to improve quality. And this is done without costs.
But in most of the cases the customer wants a higher target quality which is for example better material
for the deliverables and than costs will increase and you need to make your customer aware of this increase
otherwise it is "gold plating" if you implement this free of charge.
Changing project requirements or objectives may create additional risks but this is not a must.

You will also find some information regarding this topic in the PMBOK (fifth edition) on page 6 (What is Project Management).
If you still need some help please feel free to come up with an "real live" example and I will help you.
Because in the PMP exam you need to answer mainly real live related questions.

Cheers
Sven
9 years 10 months ago #4205

Chanchala Joshi

As we all know there are 6 project constraints specified by PMBok guide. Scope, Time, Cost, Quality, Resources, Risk. I watched the podcasts about how the inter-dependencies of each constraint works. For example, If quality is increased, Budget has to be increased. This also means that Time has to be increased. But in the video, it is broadly suggested that budget is increased. I was wondering why it is is only budget that is recognized as increased and time and other constraints are not. I feel that all constarints are interdependent.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login