fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Updates to plans via CR or directly in the process

Updates to plans via CR or directly in the process 9 years 11 months ago #4111

• Arto Pihlaja
  • Arto Pihlaja's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have trouble getting my head around the process of updating the Project Management Plan and its subsidiary plans.

Once the plans have been baselined, any changes require using the change request (CR) process (PMBOK 5th ed, p. 78). CRs are approved in the Integrated Change Control Process (ICC). Many of the processes produce both CRs and plan updates as outputs. In which process do we actually make the updates?

For example, in Control Costs I realise that the project will go over budget. I submit a CR to change the budget. The CR is an output of Control Costs. The CR gets approved in the ICC Process. Now, will the change be implemented (plan changed) in
  • the ICC Process itself (which manages changes to plans, PMBOK 5th ed. p. 94, and updates plans, p.100 )
  • the Direct and Manage Project Work process (which implements CRs, as per PMBOK 5th ed. p. 79)
  • the Control Cost Management process (which produces updates to the cost baseline, PMBOK 5th ed. p. 226) (
?

Updates to plans via CR or directly in the process 9 years 11 months ago #4112

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 604
Arto,

My initial "gut reaction" would be to answer this question with Direct and Manage Project Work. But then again... :huh:

So let me think about this one for a bit and also ask around...
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC

Updates to plans via CR or directly in the process 9 years 11 months ago #4138

• Travis
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
My take is that the CR will affect the Cost Baseline, therefore updating project documents and subsidiary plans under the PM Plan. This all goes back to Planning, Execution and back to Monitoring & Control to verify the change was beneficial. PLAN-DO-CHECK-ACT cycle.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login