fbpx

Reply: Are exam questions strict about Input vs T&T?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Are exam questions strict about Input vs T&T?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
9 years 11 months ago #4154

Peter

's Avatar

Thanks for clarification!

So long,
Peter
9 years 11 months ago #4148

Cornelius Fichtner

Oh... :ohmy: I now see everyone's confusion (including mine).

Question 10 in self-assessment 06 from the PM PrepCast needs to be updated. It is using the word "technique" in reference to an input. And we should not be mixing our terms.

I do not think that this word choice was made intentionally. Instead the word "technique" was probably just used to make the question "flow". I will therefore go ahead and change the final sentence in the question as follows:

Current: Which of the following is the best technique for Sandy to use to determine her project’s activities?

New: Which of the following is best for Sandy to use to determine her project’s activities?

It doesn't change the question or answer but removes the "conflict" that we are referring to an input as a technique.

My apologies that I did not "get" this when I originally read & answered this question. :whistle:
9 years 11 months ago #4145

Peter

's Avatar

Even though I can follow the approach of classifying templates as an organizational process asset, this is still confusing for me. OPAs are Inputs (especially for Define Activities) - not tools/techniques - right?
9 years 11 months ago #4143

Cornelius Fichtner

The answer is simple when looked at it from the angle of "passing the PMP exam": Yes. Very strict.

If the PMBOK Guide says that something is a T&T then it is a T&T and not an Input or Output.

For this particular question you have to dig a little deeper: Templates are not specifically called out as a T&T of this process. Instead, templates are considered to be part of the "Organizational Process Assets" (see 6.2.1.4 - 3rd bullet) This is why it is important not to memorize the names of the T&T but instead understand the concept.
9 years 11 months ago #4140

Travis

's Avatar

Correction to my last post: Rolling Wave Planning is a technique also (used for refinement as you learn more about the project or if influences change any of the project constraints or product requirements.
9 years 11 months ago #4139

Travis

's Avatar

My understanding is that a Template is a Tool. Expert Judgment is a Technique, Rolling Wave Planning is a methodolgy or even a philosophy of refinement. Enterprise Environmental Factors (EEFs) is an input. I would have chosen B as your gut instinct told you.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login