fbpx

Reply: The Best definition for PV

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : The Best definition for PV

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
10 years 5 months ago #3813

Cornelius Fichtner

Edward,

So two things about this question:

First... you are correct. The question that you see in our "How to Start an Exam" tutorial video does indeed have two answers that are correct. Your explanation of what's going on here is spot on.

Second... this was already fixed. I compared the question text from the video to the question text that is currently in the simulator and I see that this was caught and corrected earlier.

This means that the problem is just in the recorded video and we can leave this the way it is.

Thanks for alerting me to this though!
10 years 5 months ago #3812

Edward Marciniak

It was in the Simulator Site, "How to Start an Exam"

It is the first example provided.
10 years 5 months ago #3811

Cornelius Fichtner

Edward,

We have reviewed this and believe that you are onto something. However, we are not sure in WHICH video you actually saw this... could you please tell me the exact name of the video lesson that you watched where you saw this question appear?

Thank you!
10 years 5 months ago #3809

Edward Marciniak

I was reviewing the intro video for the Exam Simulator and the first example question was as follows:

The total PV of all project activities is sometimes referred to as:

1. performance measurement baseline
2. budget at completion
3. project budget
4. all of the above.

I realize this is a sample question but it caught my eye. On page 218 of PMBOK v5 the text indicates that "The total of the PV is sometimes referred to a the performance measurement baseline. The total planned value of the project is ALSO (my emphasis) referred to as budget at completion."

So in this question, 2 of the answers are right (if the total planned value of the activities = total planned value of the project) which would lead you to believe that all of the above would be right. But, the project budget includes management reserve, which is not included in the PMB or BAC (page 213 fig 7-8, page 214 fig 7-9, page 219 fig 7-12).

Is this a bad example question or am I missing something? If I had to choose the BEST answer I would choose BAC, because the PMB is also defined as an aggregate term for the cost schedule and scope baselines, not just cost. But the text on page 218 is almost identical to the question, which comes straight out of the cost area.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login