fbpx

Reply: Passed - Some Solid Thoughts on Resources

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed - Some Solid Thoughts on Resources

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
10 years 8 months ago #3672

Kim McKinley

Hi All,

I created a blog on the first of August and a computer glitch caused my whole message to be wiped away. So, I thought I would try once more before my access has ended.

I passed on the last day for the 4th edition (30th). So, I knew I had to pass or face the facts that I couldn't afford to buy all of the studying materials over again. I wanted to send a blog message without copying all the information that is out there on the boards already. I wanted to key in on just preparation resources (especially at a time when everyone is trying to study for the next edition).

I just wanted to let everyone know that you don't have to have a specific preparation book to pass the PMP....JUST TWO GOOD SOLID Exam Preparation books and the PMBOK guide of course (after you have been through the Prepcast). A lot of people reading the blogs think that they have to have Rita's books and materials to pass. If you already have the books and materials, then great. If not, just make sure you purchase exam books that will work with your learning style. I am extremely visual. So, I chose Headfirst PMP to get all the ideas and concepts into my head visually. The book had always looked like a "fun" book to read and that worked for me for the first pass. Then I finished up with Andy Crowe's book to align all the principles up in a nice neat order that allowed my brain to make a second pass (or a third pass if you include the PM Prepcast).

I think Cornelius mentioned that he has a list of good preparation guides, but I never purchased Rita's material and I passed with 4 Moderately Proficients and 1 Proficient.

Yet, I would not have passed the test if I had not taken as many 4-hour timed practice tests from the PM Simulator while I was studying prep books. It was like marathon training as I've read. The 4 hour tests taught me how "I" needed to pace my time for the real test (and not someone else's rules on several PMP blogs that I read. If I had followed someone else's ways of pacing the test, I wouldn't have passed. I am not a fast test taker so I found that I would need the full 4 hours as I noticed many other people did as well once I took the test. If I had not known how fast I would need to work through the test (and how many I could mark for later); I would not have been successful.

I also knew I needed more tests that I could "pause" and not have on a clock. I took those from PM Perfect. Since I am a new Mom and have an 8-month old now; I had to take those types of tests when my baby needed me during the week and do the 4 hour ones on the weekend when my husband could look after our little one. The PM Perfect system gave me 21 tests (about an hour each) plus several additional mini tests of 10 questions. So, that combination of two testing systems added up to over 4650 questions. After I took the tests, I always immediately went back over the explanation of why I got answers wrong after the tests.

Lots of good information is out there on many blogs, but remember to focus on how you learn best and how long it will take you to get through the material.

God Bless and Best Wishes for all of you who are still studying. Keep going and definitely take some breaks along the way. Your mind will need those in the final weeks before the test.

Kim McKinley, SPHR, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login