fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: performace information vs performace measurement?

performace information vs performace measurement? 11 years 2 months ago #3144

• Konstantinos Limas
  • Konstantinos Limas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Again,

Can you explain the major differences of these two? In the PMBOK guide it says

Work performace information: Information from project activities is collected on performace results suc as Costs incureed and schedule progress.

Now these sound to me like performance measurements....

Any help?

Thanks
Kostas

performace information vs performace measurement? 11 years 2 months ago #3145

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 606
Kostas,

Again... have you watched the PrepCast lessons where we explain this? I cannot explain it any better than in our official training course.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC

performace information vs performace measurement? 11 years 2 months ago #3147

• Konstantinos Limas
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Cornelius,

I will use the same example for my other question.

So....Lets say that we have measured our schedule process and we know that our SPI= 1,3.

Now according to our communication plan we have 2 stakeholders who need this information so we send them an email with our SPI.

The question is: Is this performace information or performace measurement?

thanks

performace information vs performace measurement? 11 years 2 months ago #3151

• Khurram Hussain
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If you are reporting the SPI to the stakeholders, this is performance information.

Here is the thing. A measurement is a “value” that a project team determines, measures or calculates. Information is a measurement in a form that can be distributed to the stakeholders. Usually you transform the measurements into more understandable information.

Let me give you a real example. I work for an airport operator in the PMO department. We calculate all earned values for every capital project. So we do calculate the EV, CPI, TCPI, EAC etc. However, our stakeholders, other departmental heads and board of directors etc. do not understand this PMBOK jargon. On a monthly basis we have to transform these measures into more understandable (textual description) reports and send them across. So in this example, the EV measurements are the “measures” while the textual report is the “information”.

Please note that actual interpretation varies from organization to organization, and it very much depends upon the overall maturity of the organization. Let me know if this helps resolve your confusion.

Regards,

Khurram

performace information vs performace measurement? 11 years 2 months ago #3152

• Konstantinos Limas
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hello Khurram!

Thanks for your reply, the time and effort you put here.

The thing is that I am not trying to learn project management but to adopt to PMI methodology and pass the PMP exams. I am sure that each one of us works differently according to the organization standards and self experience.

So as a bottom line if I understood your answer correctly the performace measurement is the actual number but if we send this number via email to someone else it is performace information. Or if we take this number and add it to a template document and save it, then this word template becomes performace information which includes a number that PMI calls it performace measurement?

Thanks

PS:I haven't felt so puzzled since the end of season 3 of ''LOST''....

performace information vs performace measurement? 11 years 2 months ago #3156

• Khurram Hussain
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Dear Konstantinos:

You are right. But let me reword your explanation so that it becomes clearer for the other readers. The work performance measurement is any measurement that the project team makes for the project. This can be EVM measurements or audits findings etc. What the project team reports back to the key stakeholders is the work performance information. The work performance information can contain the work performance measurements plus commentaries against the variances and discrepancies etc.

The work performance measurement is the raw data while the work performance information is the data formatted for stakeholders.

Regards,

Khurram
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasKhurram HussainMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login