fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Project champion vs project sponsor

Project champion vs project sponsor 11 years 5 months ago #2959

• Rachu
  • Rachu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
How can we differentiate the roles of project champion and project sponsor. Both supports the project. And what is project initiator?

Regards, R.

Project champion vs project sponsor 11 years 4 months ago #2973

• Khurram Hussain
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Dear Rachu:

Good day!

A project initiator is the person who requests for a project, hence he/she kick-starts the initiation phase of the project. For internal projects, this is usually the functional manager who will benefit from the project. The project sponsor is the person who will provide the relevant resources to carry out the project. This can be the project manager’s line manager or the functional manager who initiated the project. In short, the initiator requests for the project and the sponsor provides the money and people for the project; both initiator and the sponsor can be the same person.

The PMBOK guide doesn’t describes the role of a project champion very clearly. The project champion and the project sponsor are usually considered the same roles. In my personal view, a project champion is supposed to have comprehensive knowledge of the project and hence can act as a mentor to the project manager. In my personal opinion, a project champion is the project sponsor with comprehensive project knowledge and experience of multiple similar projects.

I hope this helps!

Warm regards,

Khurram Hussain, PMP, CSSBB

Project champion vs project sponsor 11 years 4 months ago #2979

• Rachu
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thank you for the response. So am I correct if I say that Project Champion is more technically sound in the project as compare to Project Sponsor if the two roles are held by two different people?

Regards, R.

Project champion vs project sponsor 11 years 4 months ago #2981

• Khurram Hussain
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Dear Rachu:

In my personal opinion, yes! :)

Disclaimer: The PMBOK guide doesn’t make this distinction!

Regards,

Khurram Hussain, PMP, CSSBB

Project champion vs project sponsor 11 years 4 months ago #2983

• Rachu
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I know thats the reason I asked as I have seen one question on this, in one of the book.
Thanks for sharing your opinion.
Regards, R.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasKhurram HussainMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login