fbpx

Reply: Who signs the Project Charter?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Who signs the Project Charter?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 5 months ago #24009

Izi

's Avatar

I believe the correct answer would have to be project sponsor. This is because, the way PMP exam questions are written, the most suitable answer is always the correct answer. In this question, the senior manager may not always be the project sponsor, but the project sponsor will always be a senior manager. If you review the question like that, then your answer should be "Project Sponsor".
4 years 4 months ago #19081

ASHUTOSH NIGAM

's Avatar

Lets try to solve this question by finding, who can not first:
CEO ... may be... but shouldn't spend his/her time on deciding strategies of companies being top executive, technically he owns all projects, failure or success of any project in which company funds are used reflect on him/her, right? So yes CEO can either sign or delegate responsibility to some VP/Manager etc in organization.
All project stakeholders... but isn't is a list too wide a group... any one that influences project is a stakeholder... not even key stakeholder... all stakeholders!!
Project management team- Formed only after project goes live along with PM, so no.
Project sponser is the key supported(can be a group too) of the need that give rise to the project and has capability to finance the project or influence financing directly. Has keen interest in project. Can make or break project. Said all this he may be interested in knowing status of milestones. Sponser need to be kept interested in project to ensure his support. So yes he can be asked to sign ... but he it is CEO who is directly or indirectly owns responsibility of the authorization of the project. Sponser may make or break project but CEO is accountable (directly or indirectly).

Hence answer is CEO.
6 years 1 week ago #13673

Mythile Thirukesan

's Avatar

I would say Project Sponsor.......
6 years 1 week ago #13662

Anonymous

's Avatar

The question i saw on other website -
Typically signing of project charter is the responsibility of
Project Sponsor
Senior Management
Project Manager
Project stake-holders

Would that be project sponsor or senior management? that's the confusion.

thanks
hitesh
6 years 11 months ago #10444

David M

's Avatar

I am studying for the PMP exam and to me the answers to this question continue to be unclear and inconsistent. In part, this is due to PMI itself. PMBOK 5th edition (page 66) states "[the project charter]...provides a well-defined project start...and a direct way for SENIOR MANAGEMENT to formally accept and commit to the project." Yet, PMI's "PMI PMP Examination Content Online - June 2015" (page 5) states "Obtain project charter approval from the SPONSOR." The only logical way to reconcile these two different answers is to assume that a sponsor is always a member of senior management. The problem I've encountered with some practice exams is that both 'senior management' and 'sponsor' were listed among the choices. I've been studying for four months and I'm still not confident of the correct answer.
7 years 2 weeks ago #9934

Philip Pun

's Avatar

if you referred to the change request statement. Who need to sign to approval that? Project manager, customers and sponsor, why? As they also be the persons in most of the cases signed the charter as well. That is just be my feeling.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login