fbpx

Reply: Re:Post Mortem

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Re:Post Mortem

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 5 months ago #18691

Tod Williams

's Avatar

Anjali, That is excellent thinking, except that if you "produced more deliverables than originally planned" as answer B states, then it would have gone through Integrated Change Control, and the scope would have been re-baselined..... so the "extra deliverables" are no longer "extra"-- they are simply the project. So your SPI would still end up equaling "1", as you have pointed out in your argument that it should.

You also made the same initial assumption that I did--- that because the questions states that the post-mortem analysis is taking place after the contracted completion date, that this means the project had been completed. But that is not quote exactly what it says-- it only says they are analyzing it sometime after it "should have" or "could have" or "was supposed to" finish. It never tells us that it ACTUALLY FINISHED... Like you, I at first inferred that it had.

Nope. The correct answer is A. It was way over budget, so they killed it-- even though it was ahead of schedule. Later when they did the post-mortem, that's exactly what the CPI and SPI show.
4 years 5 months ago #18690

Tod Williams

's Avatar

I too, originally thought the answer was D, and not A. I eventually realized that it is indeed A.
Here’s why:

Every project that completes will ALWAYS have an SPI of “1”. That is indicating that the work actually accomplished (EV) and the work originally planned(PV) are the SAME. In other words, all the work has been accomplished, so the project is complete. (Note: this has NOTHING TO DO with the CALENDAR, or whether or not the project finished on the scheduled/contracted date. That’s where we easily get confused.)

DURING a project, you can look at the SPI and make correlations with “running ahead or behind” schedule…. but that SPI number is always on a countdown to becoming exactly “1”. No more, no less. So AFTER a project, your SPI is “1”.

So at post-mortem, if the SPI in your report reads “greater than one”… it means only one of two things:
1) the project was terminated, at a point in time when you just happened to be ahead of schedule, so the SPI in the report shows that fact; –OR--
2) You literally finished the entire project ahead of schedule, closed out the project early, and in your final report listed the SPI that was current on the day you completed work, rather than correctly calculating the SPI as of the CONTRACTED (planned) completion date. If you had indeed waited until the scheduled/planned finish-date to do your final calculations, on THAT particular day, the day your project was contractually completed, your SPI would read exactly “1”.

Since scenario #2 above involves someone erroneously recording the wrong numbers in their final report, that leaves only scenario #1, which in Oliver Lehmann’s practice question, would be option A.

PS: In one of the posts above, Amit Jain gives an example of painting walls and finishing early. That is exactly the case I am describing in Situation #2 above… which is why I originally argued that the answer was choice “D”. Until I thought it through. On the day Amit painted that last wall, his SPI would be greater than one. One the day he was scheduled to be finished painting all the walls, his SPI would be “1”.

PPS: The term “post-mortem analysis” in PMP world means only that it is after the project has closed… it does not mean that the project was killed.
7 years 7 months ago #8101

Stettin Palver

I have seen this question in a few different places, worded differently, and the answer seems to be that if SV is less than 1.0 in the end the project was cancelled. I guess it could be possible to end the project with a positive schedule variance if the baseline was not updated and there was some unexpected increases in productivity that put the project ahead of schedule.

However I found a link to a post with a reference saying that a properly managed project should end with a SV of 1.0.

SV discussion
7 years 7 months ago #8037

RAMI HAIDAR

Mr. Fichtner, can you explain again please why answer A was correct and it seems project has been terminated?
Thanks.
7 years 9 months ago #7620

Nathan Carter

's Avatar

Just in response to your answer about the Post Mortem question. I answered D as it stated it was after the scheduled finish date. However when I check the answers below the question it states that the answer is A. Very confused!
12 years 7 months ago #2377

Amit Jain

Anjali,
First of all, congratulations of being a fresh PMP. I'm in the process...

Good twist to EV/PV with respect to 'end of project'.... BUT..the way I see it...

If the project is to paint 12 walls in 12 days, and if you complete the project in 10 days.... and the end of project--
earned value - 12 walls
planned value - 10 walls (after 10 days !!! project over in 10 days, not 12)

so SPI = 12/10 = 1.2

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login